RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About five days ago I noticed a hesitation while cruising at +/-60mph in my 2011 HSE; It happened 3 times within 20-30 seconds, but then ran fine. I assumed that it may have been something with the gas, as I had just filled it up that morning. Yesterday I felt the same sensation at about 40mph, while cruising on the outskirts of town, and then when I left from the next stop light it started running rather ragged & the reduced engine performance light came on. Still thinking of that gas, I limped it over to an auto parts store poured in some Lucas Fuel Treatment, topped her off with the highest no ethanol gas, and continued my limp to my meeting about 15 minutes away. It sat for about 2 hours and when I cranked her up to limp home, it was running like a top, no odd noises, lights, nothing. Convinced that it was the gas & that I had fixed it, I went on about my day picked my daughter up from school, took her home, went back to the office, and all the while she's running great! I went to leave from the office a couple hours later and it started again at about the 3rd stop light. Instead of heading straight home, I decided that I would limp it down some secondary roads until it cleared up, but no luck after about 20 minutes of driving so I headed home, and noticed that it was almost stalling completely out at stop signs (battery light would flash). Once home and placed it in "Park," it did stall out. Wondering if it could be the battery (~6 months old), I pushed the ignition button and it immediately cranked but did not start. It turned over & over until my panicked self opened the door while pushing the button to stop it.
I tried it again later last night with the same outcome.
This morning I hit the ignition button and it fired right up, but smoking heavily, idling ROUGH, smelling of fuel/oil, and I noticed that it had spat out oily looking spots onto the driveway from the exhaust.
I've decided to at least give her the day off until I can either remedy the problem or schedule her in at the LR dealership.
Any help or guidance would be most appreciated!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Paragraphs? That was kinda hard to read.....
Have you run any tests on it? Plugging it into a reader would be a good start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!!! I was hoping to paint the full picture.
I have not ran any tests yet, I am looking into ordering one now...

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Coolant level? Was it overheated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
PCV valve, thats about the only way to get oil into the exhaust without having major engine damage which would probably have some knocking or valve train noises associated with it, short of a failed seal in the SC? Pull the vacuum line off the PCV valve(s) (doesn't the 2011's and up have two of them) and see if its coated in oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant level & temperature were normal.
I began troubleshooting and found that I have developed a leak at my valve cover gasket. AND actually in the process of replacing now... just stepped in to see if there'd been any posts on replacing one because I'm sure that I have all 14 screws loose and it's not letting go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts