Range Rovers Forum banner

2011 coolant leak? Passes pressure and block

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Dwave 
#1 ·
I am losing coolant but it passes a pressure test and a block test. It has been to the dealer 3 times and they can’t find it either. Have to top off the coolant every 2-3 weeks. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
You know, I have a 2012 L322 S/C and I have an intermittent coolant leak.

Sat in the driveway for one timed hour and kept an eye on engine temps via OBD2 (ranged from 180 to 185 at 85 degrees outdoor temp) shut it off and checked for leaks. NOTHING.

Mysteriously disappearing coolant.

Then my wife parked it in the driveway the other day and from the very front of the engine compartment (a/c drain is way towards the back) there was a puddle that just wouldn’t evaporate. It leaked what appears to be about a cup’s worth (8 oz or so) and stopped.

Suspect failing water pump, a squirt of coolant may squeeze by the bearings occasionally when cooling down.

I can take it on a 4 hour drive and not throw a low coolant warning, but successive short trips with a combined drive time of less than half that seems to drain it much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If it's nothing "obvious" given the number of times it's passed the Shop's leak tests I'd focus my attention on the small bore pipe which pushes into the front face of the water pump and is sealed with an o-ring (over time, that o-ring begins to crack/degrade causing a tiny, almost untraceable coolant seep, taking several days to detect).

Rob

#6 ·
Unfortunately zt23 just did a quick single post without enough info to give a good relevant response to.
That plastic flange only applies to the pump on the one iteration of the L322.
He didn't let us know what year his RR is, so it's a crap shoot if it applies or not..

#8 ·
In my experience, "un-findable" leaks tend to be from the pipes from the water pump back, under the intake manifold. You can check that with a fiber optic inspection camera, inserted into the V area right behind the pump and then a bit farther back. Those "top of engine" leaks often cause an odor but no drip; they are pretty common in 8-10 year old trucks

#10 ·
Try doing the pressure test without coolant, only air. And listen for the leak. I had a hard to find leak on a 04 RR. I normally fill the system with coolant before doing the pressure check. But I was being lazy, and wanted to do a quick check before assembling everything. So I did the pressure check dry, and surprisingly I found a small pin hole leak at the top of the engine that I would have never found with a wet pressure check. The leak was in the valley pan gasket. Also the leak was next to the heater hose, which mislead me for over a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.