RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you buy? Why? 2012 is a LUX HSE. 2010 is an HSE both have complete maintence history’s and work performed. Looking at buying an extended service plan for either one I buy. Thoughts on pros and cons and possible problems in the future.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
159 Posts
Which would you buy? Why? 2012 is a LUX HSE. 2010 is an HSE both have complete maintence history’s and work performed. Looking at buying an extended service plan for either one I buy. Thoughts on pros and cons and possible problems in the future.
I’d get the newer one. Both are pretty low mileage all things considered. The LUX will be better appointed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If both being in equal physical condition, would go for the 2012. It will have a more updated look with the black headlights/taillights and color matched door handles and side vent surround. Depending on the vin range, may have the updated timing chain guides as well. Not sure if this matters to you, but the tow hitch was an option for 2012 (maybe the one your looking at has it), while standard on the 2010.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
335 Posts
For me, it would come down to interior colour. If it's not black I'm not interested. Lux or non-lux makes no difference to me - more to go wrong. If the rear diff was locking - I'd go for that, but I'm not sure that was an option in the non-SC. Go look at both of them and drive both of them. All things being equal (aka timing chain work).

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
128 Posts
What's the price difference between the two?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price is within $800. Price isn’t a factor for me. I’ve got the Black on Black P38 02
whivh I’ve enjoyed but I’m looking at the light cream interior with black piping.
Timing chain guide replacement is key. When does it start slipping to where you can hear it?
35K. 50K. There seem to be lots of SC models out there but I won’t need the power and the headache of SC. Or maybe I’m wrong.....with a good warranty should it matter? I’m searching for a more luxurious Rover but coming from a P38 that won’t be hard. This will be a family trip and dinner out car. Hence the LUX model is what I’m after.

·
Registered
437 Posts
supercharges arent like turbos - they can be pretty headache free. the timing chain is the real story. i hhave 83k on my 2011 SC and fully expect to get to 200k miles> Bringing it in every 5k miles to let the dealer listen for timing chain.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. Thank you. Does the SC model have all the upgrades like the LUX? Which trim is the highest? SC or LUX? I’ll be sure to have a mechanic listen for the timing chain during a pre purchase inspection. I’d really like the rear entertainment system for my daughter. Anybody have that and if so can you use Bluetooth headphones with it. I’d rather not listen to her movies on long family trips.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Good to know. Thank you. Does the SC model have all the upgrades like the LUX? Which trim is the highest? SC or LUX? I’ll be sure to have a mechanic listen for the timing chain during a pre purchase inspection. I’d really like the rear entertainment system for my daughter. Anybody have that and if so can you use Bluetooth headphones with it. I’d rather not listen to her movies on long family trips.

Supercharged has all the options lux does

·
Registered
159 Posts
Supercharged is a higher trim level compared to LUX. Beyond the S/C, is the Autobiography model.

Regarding the RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment), The 2011-2012 models have the improved RSE controller, which depending on the age of you daughter, would allow her to control the system on her own easily from the backseat. The RSE system should also include a pair of wireless headphones designed to interface w/ the system. You cannot "pair" other Bluetooth headphones to the system, you are required to use the included wireless headphones (which work just fine). My 3yo & 5yo like the RSE on road trips and my wife and I enjoy being able to listen to our music (or have a conversation) while the kids blissfully watch a movie from the backseat w/ their headphones on. Do keep in mind that you are generally constrained to using the 6-disc DVD changer for the "movie" selection. You cannot wireless transmit video sources to the screens. There are two discreet RCA (Red/Yellow/White) AUX inputs, though, in addition to the DVD Changer. Also keep in mind that the 6-disc DVD changer is in ADDITION to the 6-disc CD changer located up front in the glove box.

I have some plans to attempt to permanently connect (hardwire) a Chromecast to one of these AUX inputs so that I can steam content from my Tablet or phone to the monitors. If this is successful it would enable quite a bit more flexibility to the system.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great news. My daughter is 5 so that Setup of entertainment seems great
well I’m leaning towards a 2012 SC then and one with a towing package already installed

thanks for the clarifying details.

·
Registered
374 Posts
REALLY..?? timing chain services at under 60 k miles? i just fdid mine for the first time on my 2005 hse and it has 242k miles... why would anyone do timing chains if there is nothing wrong with them.. these two cars are barealy used with that mleage...
whichever one has had the timing chain service. If the same the higher mileage one with lux.

·
Registered
437 Posts
REALLY..?? timing chain services at under 60 k miles? i just fdid mine for the first time on my 2005 hse and it has 242k miles... why would anyone do timing chains if there is nothing wrong with them.. these two cars are barealy used with that mleage...
because the 2010 to 2012s have a tensioner issue and if they fail the motor goes poof

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great news. My daughter is 5 so that Setup of entertainment seems great
well I’m leaning towards a 2012 SC then and one with a towing package already installed

thanks for the clarifying details.
When I began looking for our RR I was not focused on SC models either. My primary requirements were NOT Black or White paint, Rear Seat Entertainment, a trailer hitch, low mileage and well maintained.
I ended up having to look at a lot of S/C models to find the RSE and trailer hitch. The hitch was not standard on ‘11-‘12 models and apparently was not a common option based on the vehicles I was seeing both locally, and on Auto Trader/eBay. The hitch also appears to be N.L.A new as a separate part, and good used ones were also hard to find. It also seems like 90% of these trucks were built in either White or Black.... it made it really hard to find ours.
All that said, don’t be afraid of the S/C. There is a bit more complexity but I don’t think it impacts the overall vehicle reliability much at all. Plus the power is pretty ridiculous for a big SUV. Always puts a smile on my face when I stomp on it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
332 Posts
I was toying with getting a newer L322 and asked my long time LR mechanics this question. They said go for the Jag engined RR as they have fewer issues. Their words not mine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was toying with getting a newer L322 and asked my long time LR mechanics this question. They said go for the Jag engined RR as they have fewer issues. Their words not mine.
that statement makes sense if you have no interest in replacing the timing chain for $8k. If you are willing to replace the chain then i think the newer motor is the way to go.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
335 Posts
Well I've had the 4.4L and the 5.0L and I have to say even though the 4.4L was still super smooth when I sold it, I prefer the 5.0L. I very often to 300 mile drives up from LA to Mammoth and the 5.0L is so effortless in cruise control it's ridiculous. Never gets above 2,000 rpm. The 4.4L was always hunting and piling on the revs at the uphill sections. Plus the 5.0L gets better fuel economy by ~3mpg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts