RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I put my '08 S/C wheels on my '10 RR S/C and, unfortunately, ended up with a TPMS fault message. Turns out, LR has changed the the system for 2010 and it is not compatable with the older sensors. In addition, the new sensors are now nearly $90!! ea... Bummer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
PARR06 said:
Today I put my '08 S/C wheels on my '10 RR S/C and, unfortunately, ended up with a TPMS fault message. Turns out, LR has changed the the system for 2010 and it is not compatable with the older sensors. In addition, the new sensors are now nearly $90!! ea... Bummer.

why did you change out the 2010 wheels?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
PARR06 said:
If they are the same as the Jag ones, find the part numer and get the equivilent. The TPMS system on 2002-2005 was BMW, maybe they carried that through to 2008/9 and now its the Jag system?

Have you checked ebay for pattern parts yet?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ace 95 said:
PARR06 said:

why did you change out the 2010 wheels?
I like the design of the '08 S/C wheels more than the 2010 and I wanted to see if the tires I have been using on the past few rovers were better than the the stock Michelins.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan_UK_1984 said:
PARR06 said:
If they are the same as the Jag ones, find the part numer and get the equivilent. The TPMS system on 2002-2005 was BMW, maybe they carried that through to 2008/9 and now its the Jag system?

Have you checked ebay for pattern parts yet?
I'll have to research this further, but the sensors from '06-'09 actuallly say Ford Motor Co. on them. The dealer didn't have a 2010 sensor in stock, but considering the whole CanBus system has been changed, it doesn't surprise me that the two were not compatible. It could something as simple as a different radio frequency. For now, I will just click O.K too cancel the warning.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, as this "unadvertised" change will surely carry over to the system on RRS and Disco/LR4 as well. The only difference I noticed between 2009 and 2010 TPMS specs listed in the respective shop manuals is the manufacturer of the system, listed as "Continental/Siemens" on MY2010s and just "Siemens" on 2006-2009s. The shop manual makes no reference to changes in transmission frequency either, saying only that the wheel sensors transmit at RF of either 315 or 433 MHz (same as MY09 and earlier), depending on market...

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked some '08 sensors that I have, which I will be returning, and they say 315 MHZ.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just talked to the dealer to order 4 2010 TPMS sensors and not only are there two possible frequency choices (315,433), but they are also VIN specific...

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
umbertob said:
PARR06 said:
but they are also VIN specific...
Great! :evil: What's next, VIN specific cigarette lighters? This trend is really getting ridiculous.
To be fair, I would think they mean VIN Range? Or did they actually suggest that every TPMS Sensor out there is locked to that one car?

Why don't you take the sensors off the old wheels you had on it? Or did you sell them?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did mean VIN range...

I still have the stock tires on the 2010 wheels. I run a different kind of tire on the 2008 wheels.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Phew... You got me worried there for a second. I thought it was Land Rover's devious new attempt to kill the aftermarket rims business, new sensors that need activation by a dealer and will only operate on approved alloys and tires. :naughty:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the sensors would just swap, but I want to keep both sets of tires/wheels assembled and complete.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics of 2010 S/C with '08 S/C wheels

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, for uploading purposes, the pic resolution is pretty small. In real life, they are more different than these pics show.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts