RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew! Just wanted to quick give you an update, I did buy my fiancee a 2010 Sport HSE this week. I'll post pictures where I should. I'm on the hunt for a 2010 Sport S/C. Anyway, down to business.

My dad has a 2010 Sport Supercharged. Everything has worked well until the last month. When the car is cold, or at least when it's been sitting for 15 minutes or more, you go to start the car up, and it runs, then you know when it starts revving down to idle? Well, at that point it starts missing cylinders. What's strange is that it sits there and misfires, but doesn't throw a code. As soon as you put the car in gear, that's when the check engine light actually shows up. It says something like, "Reduced engine performance" or something along those lines. Normally, to solve this problem, we shut the car off, wait about 15 seconds then start it up again. Wallah! It's gone! The engine light is still on, but it fires on all 8 just fine, and is just as fast as a Supercharged normally is without a hint of a misfire.

Now, we still have a 2006 Supercharged in the family, and this is sort of like when the computer had to be reprogrammed and the SC coolant pump wiring had to be reversed. I can't remember if the 2006 actually misfired though. It was more like it just didn't have ANY power.

We took it in for service, and our tech couldn't find anything. Of course. He saw the codes though. I just put a call into the dealer to get what the code actually was. I am pretty sure that all cylinders reported a misfire though. When I get the call, I'll post what the code actually was.

Either way, has any other 2010+ S/C owner have this problem? I searched for "misfire" and "missing" but couldn't find anything on our forum. The build date was Feb of 2010 from what I gather, so it wasn't the first off the line.

Any help would be appreciated, and as soon as I get more info from the dealer, I'll post here. I'm just hoping that Umberto comes rolling in with one of his magical TSBs. He's always good like that! Thanks guys. Pics coming on our new machine at our house. We love it. (It has the rocking seat issue though that I see I'll have to get fixed. Shhh. Don't tell the fiancee. She hasn't noticed yet. :shhh: )

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
The Weatherman said:
Wallah! It's gone!
- Wallah sounds like an onion...perhaps Voilà is the word you are looking for. :(

This sounds like an Oxygen Sensor issue, worthwhile also to check the gas cap.

Did you recently change to a gas station that has more ethanol in the mix?

Are you seeing any unusual smoke upon start up?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Boy, you and your family sure love Land Rover. :thumb:

Nothing specific to 2010 S/C misfiring issues on TOPIx I'm afraid. Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner yet? That's all your service tech may do - at least at first - if the DTC they pull shows a misfire. That may do nothing, but who knows... Hopefully just a tankful of bad gas in the past that left some crap in an injector or two. See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44030

·
Registered
325 Posts
umbertob said:
Boy, you and your family sure love Land Rover. :thumb:

Nothing specific to 2010 S/C misfiring issues on TOPIx I'm afraid. Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner yet? That's all your service tech may do - at least at first - if the DTC they pull shows a misfire. That may do nothing, but who knows... Hopefully just a tankful of bad gas in the past that left some crap in an injector or two. See: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44030
umber, just wanted to thank you for posting up the tsbs and the like. your efforts certainly do not go unrecognized even by newbies like me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2010 Supercharged Autobiography and its been in the workshop for the last 3 weeks and has previosuly been in for the same issue some 3 times. The issue is a failed injector, a quick cheat is to rev on start up but it will only get worse and will eventually need replacing. There is no official issue flagged on TOPIx as yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took delivery on Wednesday of a new 2012 RRSS. This is our 10th Land Rover. We never had any issues with the other ones (RR full sized, RR full sized Supercharged, RRSS, Disco 2, LR3, RRS, LR4, LR2, and Evoque). This morning, while the truck was at idle, it was making knocking or "coughing" sounds that were coupled with a few jolts of the engine. It sounded as if our friend from Solihull was going to stall. It did not. However, the check engine light illuminated, and a "reduced engine performance" warning appeared. The truck would not drive faster than 30-50mph. I immediately drove to the closest dealership, they took the truck right in and found a code for a "cylinder 5 misfire" upon startup at mile 216. Mind you, the truck has 225 miles total on the odometer. Anyway, the tech cleared the code, did nothing else, and the truck now runs fine. Something tells me that this will not be the end of the "misfire" story....stay tuned.--Olivier

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just took delivery on Wednesday of a new 2012 RRSS. This is our 10th Land Rover. We never had any issues with the other ones (RR full sized, RR full sized Supercharged, RRSS, Disco 2, LR3, RRS, LR4, LR2, and Evoque). This morning, while the truck was at idle, it was making knocking or "coughing" sounds that were coupled with a few jolts of the engine. It sounded as if our friend from Solihull was going to stall. It did not. However, the check engine light illuminated, and a "reduced engine performance" warning appeared. The truck would not drive faster than 30-50mph. I immediately drove to the closest dealership, they took the truck right in and found a code for a "cylinder 5 misfire" upon startup at mile 216. Mind you, the truck has 225 miles total on the odometer. Anyway, the tech cleared the code, did nothing else, and the truck now runs fine. Something tells me that this will not be the end of the "misfire" story....stay tuned.--Olivier
Uh oh. Well, here's the upside of that. If it happens again, they know where it's coming from. Unfortunately, it looks like the procedure is this.

Check to see if all wires and fittings are okay. If that's okay, they do the B & G fuel system additive and B & G pressurized fuel system cleaning. Again, I was kind of ticked that when I brought mine in the 1st time, they didn't do the pressurized fuel system cleaning. They just gave me the additive.

If that doesn't work, they just pop in a new injector, or possibly even a bank of injectors. These DIs on the 5.0L are that finnicky? I keep hearing of this on the SC models, but no one checking in with the N/A's. Hopefully it was just a fluke, Oliver. Normally, mine runs just fine. I have NO idea how it hasn't thrown a CEL like yours though. The strange thing is that my dad's 2010 SC, when it threw the CEL for a bad injector, never said "reduced engine performance." All you'd have to do it just restart it, and it would run perfectly. Though the CEL light stayed on for a few days. Good luck! Sounds like you guys are kind of like my fam with all the Rovers.

If you looked at my gas mileage thread I just started, my SC goes in on Wednesday probably for the pressurized fuel system process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Uh oh. Well, here's the upside of that. If it happens again, they know where it's coming from. Unfortunately, it looks like the procedure is this.

Check to see if all wires and fittings are okay. If that's okay, they do the B & G fuel system additive and B & G pressurized fuel system cleaning. Again, I was kind of ticked that when I brought mine in the 1st time, they didn't do the pressurized fuel system cleaning. They just gave me the additive.

If that doesn't work, they just pop in a new injector, or possibly even a bank of injectors. These DIs on the 5.0L are that finnicky? I keep hearing of this on the SC models, but no one checking in with the N/A's. Hopefully it was just a fluke, Oliver. Normally, mine runs just fine. I have NO idea how it hasn't thrown a CEL like yours though. The strange thing is that my dad's 2010 SC, when it threw the CEL for a bad injector, never said "reduced engine performance." All you'd have to do it just restart it, and it would run perfectly. Though the CEL light stayed on for a few days. Good luck! Sounds like you guys are kind of like my fam with all the Rovers.

If you looked at my gas mileage thread I just started, my SC goes in on Wednesday probably for the pressurized fuel system process.
Thanks for the info. The truck stalled at a traffic light this morning and would not restart. Roadside (LR has one of the worst roadside assistance programs; but, that's another story) towed "the huge engine that couldn't" to the dealership. Since we bought all 10 of our Landies from this dealership, they called a tech in (on his day off) to check out the truck and see what he could do. Turned out it was another cylinder 5 misfire. The tech said he was surprised that this is happening so "early". I asked him to clarify, he said that this sort of event is not unexpected in a 2010-present RRSS, but it usually happens around mile 2500-5000 and it's due to a design issue. In other words, it's supposed to happen eventually. In my case he was concerned because the mileage is so low (281). As far as a fix, he warned me that it could go either way. It could be an easy job (which is what the other dealership did yesterday, and it failed), or he may have to remove, or go under, the supercharger, dissect it a bit, see what's going on, and then take it from there. If the latter happens, the manager assured me that he'd lemon out the truck and put us in a new one ASAP. Could there be an 11th Land Rover in our immediate future? I hope not. I love this RRSS. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oliver, thanks for the response on what actions have been taken with your SC. Please let us know what's going on in the future.

Get really technical with them. What is the "design flaw?" How many of these has he seen? What has been the remedy? Is it the injectors?

I'm really curious, and find your problem very interesting. The fact that it just died is something that ours never do.

If they are having this many problems with the SC, redesign the injectors, and if a customer is having a problem, but in the whole new, redesigned batch. This engine needs prrecisely metered fuel. I hope this all works out for you. I love this truck too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's in the shop, gentlemen. They found a new batch of fault codes. Misfires on cylinders 2,4,6 & 8. Instead of a fuel system cleaning, my dealer rocks and is just putting in 4 new injectors. We'll see how this works. I get the car back late Thursday or Friday. The injectors will be in Thursday.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I've had the truck back for about a day. My dealer is always very nice with fixing things. Again, the original problem is some shaking and what feels to be misfiring. There were never any check engine lights. Misfires were recorded in 2,4,6 & 8. There were times when it sat at a stoplight just shaking with every "fire" part of the combustion's 4 cycles.

Anyway, I still feel a little shaking at idle when it's cold. It's not a drastic shake.

My new hypothesis is it's some sort of sensor that deals with the whole side of the cylinder bank. I mean, what are the chances of a misfire in 2,4,6 & 8? That's one bank of cylinders. Either way, I'm going to give it plenty of time. If it starts misfiring badly, I'll take a video and post it up. At least I have 4 new injectors I don't have to worry about for a while.

I must emphasize that the car has always started without any problem at all. It has never killed as well.

Who knows. Maybe it is fixed now, and the SC 5.0L is just a rough runner. (I don't believe that though.) Even with this misfire issue, I still was able to pull away from a new WRX three times. I believe it's not hurting the power once you give it gas. How the heck can that tank pull on a new WRX? See? It's not so bad.

Thoughts? Techies? Thoughts from you? Any sesnor that would control the whole bank of cylinders? Remember though, I've only had it about one day. It's not bad.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 2011 SC, only when it's cold, it hesitates to start, never misfired though, unless that is a misfire? lol... I tried pouring Seafoam cleaner into the tank, still no good, I guess I have to find a shop that has the compression Injector cleaner and see if that helps. Ill keep you guys posted......What was your out come Olivier?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Whatever happened to the Weatherman? He came in like a storm and then left just like that... no bye...nothing...hmmm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Whatever happened to the Weatherman? He came in like a storm and then left just like that... no bye...nothing...hmmm.
maybe there was a change with the Wind and he ended up going towards an Audi! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
have 2010 sport hse, runs rough, no cel, lots of blue smoke from tail pipe at times after idling. brought it to the dealer was told it had misfires on left bank and that it needs injectors for $3000 but they could not guarantee that would fix it and does not explain the smoke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Blue smoke means it's burning oil. I'd find another dealer for a second opinion. Don't mention the first dealership's diagnosis to them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Blue smoke means it's burning oil.
I believe white smoke is oil. Blue smoke would indicate overfueling (faulty injectors would dump fuel into cylinders, making the engine run roughly and the exhaust fumes would be blue), but I give you that, it's quite hard to distinguish blue/white without a Pantone palette, so it's worth checking for both cases.
However, the smell of oil in the exhaust fumes might be a telltale sign.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The rings are bad, you are burning oil. Black smoke is over rich; white is coolant, head gasket; blue is oil -- accelerating, rings; deaccelerating, valve seals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts