RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 SC Sport on an online auction last week. (sight unseen. 75000 miles). Same 5.0L engine as the L322. Unfortunately I have not even seen the car yet but my good wife has done me proud by recording the engine noise on her phone and has been through the fault codes with my iCarsoft i930. The codes are as expected but the engine is a little noisy. I did read up on the various forums and knew what I was getting into so no real surprises.

The first thing I did was buy a cam timing kit so when I do get home, I can start on whatever job I may need to start on.

IMG-20161209-WA0012 (Large).jpg

Has anyone done a DIY on the timing chain/tensioner replacement? I have all the manuals (Topix), tools etc. to do the job but a bit of hands on advice is always useful. (I did search the forum but didn't see anything).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
I can't think of anyone here that has taken this on yet. The engine rattle and timing issue posts are just recently increasing with the Jag engines. You may very well be in uncharted DIY territory. :thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:shock: Oh boy :shock:

Its Guinea Pig time.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I got home and started investigating the engine noise and it turns out that its the supercharger coupling which is the cause. Very easy to check - simply remove the supercharger drive belt and see if you can feel any play on the pulley before you feel the supercharger turning. (the noise is a random clattering sound from the the engine/supercharger at idle but goes away as the revs build up and the supercharger is put under load.

To get the belt off I used a 3/8th's drive ratchet which you engage in the square hole on the tensioner itself. Then using the ratchet as the lever, release the belt tension and the belt can then be removed. The only things that need to be removed first are the acoustic engine cover and the plastic intake.

So I have ordered a replacement coupler and will get busy with the job in a few weeks. Plus will do the supercharger oil change while I am about it.

1.jpg

·
Registered
795 Posts
Plus will do the supercharger oil change while I am about it.
Supercharger oil change you say hmmmmm??? Now I'm curious. Anyone know how to do this? I will google it but if someone has a write-up it would be cool to see it for the 2010+

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My research tells me the oil change is done on the rear of the supercharger for the 2010 model. I cant say whether the fill plug is accessible or not but I will be removing the unit anyway to replace the coupling so will do the oil then.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Googled it and some say it is at the back, some say it is at the front. Strangely enough, no one has taken a pic or done a write up. From what I am reading, it seems pretty straight forward and you can use GM Supercharger oil as it is made by Eaton, the same company that makes SCs for GM, Ford and Dodge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update. I got home and started investigating the engine noise and it turns out that its the supercharger coupling which is the cause. Very easy to check - simply remove the supercharger drive belt and see if you can feel any play on the pulley before you feel the supercharger turning. (the noise is a random clattering sound from the the engine/supercharger at idle but goes away as the revs build up and the supercharger is put under load.

To get the belt off I used a 3/8th's drive ratchet which you engage in the square hole on the tensioner itself. Then using the ratchet as the lever, release the belt tension and the belt can then be removed. The only things that need to be removed first are the acoustic engine cover and the plastic intake.

So I have ordered a replacement coupler and will get busy with the job in a few weeks. Plus will do the supercharger oil change while I am about it.

View attachment 210242
Any update? I just received my 2011 L322 SC with 66k miles and it's doing the same thing except it only does it some times. Need to know if I should send it back to the dealer or ask for a refund. I asked them specifically if it has this knock and they said no...

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAuWXpg1_4

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dude that is some serious knocking going on. It sounds like a timing issue. You will need to have the timing system checked. If it's not under warranty, you know what NOT to do, hint hint.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,101 Posts
Looking at a '10 FFRR N/A, with this noise....
https://vimeo.com/198610085

It's cheap, but wanted the opinion of someone who has experienced the timing chain and guide issues to let me know the engine is probably OK....

Martin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dude that is some serious knocking going on. It sounds like a timing issue. You will need to have the timing system checked. If it's not under warranty, you know what NOT to do, hint hint.
No sure what you mean. What should I not do?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any update? I just received my 2011 L322 SC with 66k miles and it's doing the same thing except it only does it some times. Need to know if I should send it back to the dealer or ask for a refund. I asked them specifically if it has this knock and they said no...

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAuWXpg1_4
My research tells me that these engines suffer from two unrelated noise problems.
a). Timing chain rattle caused by a weakness in the guide pins on the tensioner setup
b). Supercharger rattle caused by a failing coupler

I was poised to do the timing chain "overhaul" but realised that the coupler is the problem with my car so that's what I will be tackling in a few weeks once my replacement parts arrive.

The above video does not sound like my SC noise. The failing coupling is a totally random noise unlike the noise in the video above which I would say is tensioner related even though I have nothing to compare it to.

Trying to find the words to correctly describe the SC noise is difficult. Its almost like someone is shaking a tin can with a couple of thick glass bottles in it. Totally random and is not in time with the engine speed as in the above video. At idle the rotors in the supercharger are not under any load so they simply float around even though they are being driven by the engine. They are not "pumping" much air at idle but once the engine speed builds up and the SC starts doing its job, the rotors are now under tension and can not bounce around making the noise. The earlier 4.2 SC engines suffer from the same problem and its relatively simple to change the coupler in situ.

I think the SC needs to be removed to replace the coupler on the 5.0 litre motor so it is a bit more involved but simple enough. (maybe).

I guess the best way to establish where the noise comes from is to remove the SC drive belt and run the engine. If the noise persists it is fairly obvious that it is not caused by the SC. There is quite a lot of info on the various Jag forums which share the same motor - both supercharged and normally aspirated.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah I got bad news for you. The fan coupler is a chronic problem.. Mine was replaced twice under warranty and it is STILL ticking when it's really cold outside. I don't know what this means but I'm just gonna leave it for now and hope for the beast until I can figure out a permanent solution to this. One option is to switch it to an electric fan system but that's beyond my technical abilities.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fan coupler? I am talking about the supercharger coupling. There is also a viscous fan ticking noise that seems to affect these cars - I have noticed mine doing it occasionally. But thats a rhythmic ticking one notices at idle.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Fan coupler? I am talking about the supercharger coupling. There is also a viscous fan ticking noise that seems to affect these cars - I have noticed mine doing it occasionally. But thats a rhythmic ticking one notices at idle.
Yup that's exactly what I'm talking about. The SC coupler I am not familiar with.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Different engine but similar sound to my SC rattle. I also found this explanation taken from EATON's patent on the torsion damper

Torsion damping mechanism for a supercharger
US 8042526 B2
During non-supercharging, low engine speed or idle speed operation, the meshed teeth of the blower timing gears may be substantially unloaded and may bounce or clash back and forth against each other through the backlash therebetween. The bounce or clash may produce an objectionable noise known as gear rattle and is believed to be caused by torsionals in the supercharger drive torque provided by periodic combustion engines.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No. You use a 3/8 drive ratchet or similar in the square hole to lever this tensioner which will loosen the belt and allow removal. I would make sure the belt wont be able to flap around before starting the engine and wouldn't run the engine for too long as the belt will be stationary while the crankshaft pulley is spinning.
images.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
17 Participants
callipygian
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing