RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I bought this truck used and "everything worked" when I test drove it, a few days after I took delivery I noticed the from seats were not heating, further investigation they are not cooling either. I bought the GAP tool and downloaded the codes this is what I found;

B1231-7A Right and Left Seat failure logged at the same time?? What would cause this? This was the morning before I took delivery, could they have dislodged something detailing the car? Later same day the U0140-00 Lost communication with BCM fault triggered, this was after I took delivery. Both seats not heating or cooling and the dealer swears they were working.....I would like to restore these but the possible $2k bill isnt that attractive....

Hoping this might be a simple fix, cant imagine both seats would crap out at the same time (3 seconds apart...)

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
361 Posts
The module is under the right front seat, covered by a shoebox lid sized plastic lid retained by two plastic crosshead screws (if it's still there).

The module has three connectors which are disconnected by releasing the blue lock on the connector before depressing the release tabs.

It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RANGE-ROVER-L322-2006-2009-HEATED-SEATS-CONTROL-MODULE-7H42-14B663-AE/123350773219?hash=item1cb8476de3:g:4OMAAOSwIJtbjpxj

The module requires a 12v +ve and -ve supply and a low voltage 2.0v and 2.3v return from a twisted pair on the CAN bus in order to be "seen".

You may be able to move the front passenger seat up and fully forward and then try and access the cavity below where the module is located or simply remove the seat for better access.

If you do decide to remove the seat for access, just remove the four 10mm retaining bolts and allow the seat to "tip" backwards and lean against the back seat with the seat's electrical connections/plugs remaining connected.

Rob

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Would check the wiring as previously mentioned... then reset the truck completely, if they persist I'd check the peltiers. It's possible when they detailed the truck they slammed some things around and broke the seatbacks. I know I've done this. Had the passenger seat too far back and folded the rear seat, too much pressure on the seat back on a tired peltier unit and it cracks easily. These motors do NOT last. Though cooling should work regardless, tho it's only an 8 degree difference from ambient so listen for the blowers running. The heat relies on sensors, if there is a crack in the body causing a leak, a temp sensor will expect some value that never occurs and the system faults out.

Also if you're not familiar with how these work they're way over complicated... peltiers in both the seat cushion and back on each seat, temp senses throughout, lots of little things to go wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts