RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having a problem with front windshield. I have had three small "chips" and one developed into a lengthy "crack" on upper driver side. Dealer doesn't want to pay and I have only had the vehicle for 2 months.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
:?: Why would the dealer be responsible for rock chips and their cracking? I would think they would be standard road hazard. Doesn't your insurance cover glass repair for free?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you are saying, and yes they do, but I think I have had one chip in 25 years of driving, so I am trying to see if there is a problem with the windshield. Was wondering if heating elements may "weaken" the glass. New to RR so still figuring out, but overall I love this truck, even though a few minor glitches.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
bootlegger said:
Was wondering if heating elements may "weaken" the glass.
Nah, Rangies have had the heated wind screens since the mid 80s. Rolls/Bentley had the super fine embeded system in the rear back at least as far as 1951. I would mark it up to just lousy luck and have the insurance take care of it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Heating elements do nothing about chips and cracks. Thats the road debris hitting you.

thank your stars, in Vermont and other states they use Sand on the road so road chips are normal part of driving in those states in the winter.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
I got about a dozen small pits in my windshield this winter. Went to the local glass guy today and he said they were too small to fix :crybaby2: . Also said that the size, angle and bodydesign of our RRS is what makes our windshields vulnerable to chipping; even commented he has only done one windshield repalcement on a Corvette in 10 years (to make his point). I'm gonna install the RR hood air deflector as soon as it arrives from Roveractive (ordered about 2 weeks ago) to hopefully cut down on these bad boys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Until I owned the RRS I had never had to replace a windshield on any vehicle that I owned. I have had to replace the RRS windshield twice (82000 miles). I have had 2 separate installers tell me that it is the angle of the glass that makes it prone chips/cracks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to get the dealer to order me a land rover issued window as the other manufacturer does not yet make a 2010. That being said, I just got back from road trip to Vegas and two more chips, one very deep. There has got to be a flaw, I have had one windshield chip in the last 5 years!

·
Registered
458 Posts
On this topic, maybe something is a little different. I noticed that the 2010's windshield seems "Wavy" when I look out of it. It actually refracts and distorts your view out of the window. You think that I'm nuts, right? No. The 2008 full-size SC, and our 2006 RRSSC did not have that. They are small waves, in between each electrical element. I'm wondering what changed with the windshield for 2010. (I'm not talking about the wavy elements, there's actually wavy glass.)

My dad, who's over seventy, noticed the same thing without me even bringing it up. I wonder if this batch is flawed. You may just be onto something here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
bootlegger said:
I understand what you are saying, and yes they do, but I think I have had one chip in 25 years of driving, so I am trying to see if there is a problem with the windshield. Was wondering if heating elements may "weaken" the glass. New to RR so still figuring out, but overall I love this truck, even though a few minor glitches.
Man, where are you driving? It's rock chip season here. Just had one fixed the other day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had chips fixed on both a RR and RRS without any problems, I fee Land Rovers are more likely to have chips than other trucks. In our company we have had chips in Jeeps, Dodges, and Fords al at about the same rate.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You should see the stone chip party that takes place on vehicles with vertical windshields like the Toyota FJ and Jeep Wrangler...the more raked the windshield the less direct hits it takes.

Sorry but stone chips are between you and your insurance company.

·
Registered
69 Posts
the fact the you want to blame the design as the fault is LUDACRIS!!! i had a Toyota FJ cruiser before my RRS and it was infamous for windshield replacements because the windshield is basically vertical. Getting chips and cracks in your glass is just bad luck and happens to almost, i said almost anyone! it's like getting a flat tire, or running over a screw, are you going to go after the tire companies because their tires are too "sticky?"

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
cameradude said:
the fact the you want to blame the design as the fault is LUDACRIS!!!
:?:

·
Registered
69 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all.. I just had my windshield replaced this past week due to small crack.. The installer did not do a good job and it must go back in next week for a redo.. The black trim pieces on the left and right edges were not seated properly and were sticking up and away from the body of the car!

Question... The right passenger side piece obviously needs to be redone. As for the driver side trim, it seems a little off and seems "squishy" to the touch. When i push down on the very top edge of the trim, against the body and windshield, it seems to have a little give and pushes in a tiny bit. Also, when i have the door open, and I push the trim up and away from the windshield, it easily moves. Is there something wrong and should I have it done again as well?

For those that have not had their windshields replaced, can you please push against the top edge of the trim on the left and right edge of the windshield, and see if it gives and pushes in a little bit (as if there were a cushion underneath)? Or is it solidily in place and not move at all (as in it's up against the metal body)?

Also, with the door open, and you can see the edge of the trim that wraps around the door jamb, does that push up and away from the body very easily?

Or should the trim not budge what so ever?

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just checked mine (2010 RRS) and also had my windshield replaced last week. The exterior trim does not move what-so-ever, nor does it feel spongy. It is flush against the windshield and seated correctly on both sides. In regards to the interior trim...I'm assuming you mean the covers over the airbags? If so, yes, they both do move fairly easy if I tug at either side. There is a little give to them but they don't come off.

BTW, how much did it cost where you live? The total here in NJ was 1150 which the insurance co picked up most of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
it was around 1300. but insurance took care of it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had to replace my 2010 RRS windshield 3 months after purchase due to multiple chips. The replacement windshield now has to be replaced to to 12 inch crack. I have replaced one windshield the previous 28 years of driving, now I am going to be on windshield #3!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts