RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just discovered this site...

Recently upgraded from 2006 RRS SC to 2010 RRS SC. I really like the USB feature in the 2010 and was thinking I could simply dump my ~4GB of music onto a standard memory stick and have it "just work". The music is organized into a folder hierarchy by artist and then album. There's a total of 666 mp3 and wma files down in the leaf nodes of the folder hierarchy.

The problem I have is that the vehicle only sees some of the folders, leaving me with about 150 songs out of the 666. If I "flatten" the folder hierarchy by gathering all 666 music files into a single folder, then the vehicle sees all 666 files. So I can get at all my music but I lose the ability to (easily) play albums, turn on repeat/random by folder, etc.

Anyone seen anything like this? Are there any known folder count limitations? I guess I need to inform my dealer but I have little faith that this kind of issue can even be reported accurately "up the chain," let alone lead to a timely fix. What is your guys' experience with getting fixes for issues in the entertainment systems?

Also, an observation. I don't think the stereo system sounds as good in the 2010 as in the 2006. The 2006 had a very balanced sound but the 2010 feels heavily biased towards the front driver side and is too heavy on the mid-range. I know I can adjust the fader in the 2010 but in my experience doing that never leads to complete satisfaction.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I remember reading on a thread elsewhere that the RRS/RR/LR4 USB port apparently has trouble recognizing and playing a mixture of MP3 and WMA files off the same USB flash drive (especially if the files are stored at different compression levels) and the result can either be a "Device Error" message or only a partial list of folders is recognized. The recommendation on those forums was to stick to either all WMAs or all MP3s on the same memory stick - and use FAT32 to format the drive before copying files on it. Also, the smaller the stick the better - 4GB should be OK, but some larger flash or hard drives may be too power hungry for the port. I don't have a 2010 to verify any of this, so take the information with a grain of salt.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Tai,

Do a search on these forums as there's been much posted about this. There's nothing wrong, simply use a USB that is smaller (2G or less) then try the larger one.

My XF wouldn't recognize my USB when I first stuck it in but then I read the postings here for trying a smaller (memory) size and it totally worked! So when I picked up my 2010 RRS I tried a smaller USB first before my larger one and I never noticed any errors :thumb:

So once again, Rangerovers.net users to the rescue!
:D

P.S.
I did have to make sure all my music files were MP3 & not wav or other type files.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you folks for the suggestions and info. I'll play with this some more and post back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My USB stick is not recognised once the engine is switched off and then on again. I have to remove the usb stick and plug it in again every time I switch on the engine. Its getting quite frustrating!!! Please help!!!!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
RRS10 (welcome to the forum!), have you tried another brand/size USB stick to see if you can duplicate the problem? This may be a common issue as I have read similar complaints on other boards: If you stop and restart the car with the audio unit in a different input mode - radio, CD, etc. - and then switch to USB, does it recognize the stick then? My guess is that it will, which would mean something goes wrong during the infotainment system "reboot" phase as the car is unable to read the information on your stick fast enough, throwing a device error fault as a result. Perhaps you should try a smaller capacity stick and/or a better quality one, with a faster "read" time than the stick you are using now.

It would not surprise me if this issue is addressed in the future with some sort of software patch to the infotainment system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts