RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have had mine for just about 7 months and have 8553 miles on it (more than I thought I had ...). Work is 22 mi roundtrip, but we've also taken this from Los Gatos (Bay Area) to Tahoe, Monterey & San Diego... and tend to jump in it for most weekend excursions. :thumb:

We did the driving experience in Carmel (using their vehicle) and were blown away by the abilities of this rig off-road. Must admit that as many others, I really don't want good dings or scratches on it, so we take our little Wrangler off road 100% of the time and the RR sits in the driveway. But I know what it is capable of ... :mrgreen:

Overall - experience has been quite good. Upright driving position is fantastic - but the cockpit is a little snug. As with all SUV's of this size, would prefer to be able to put the seat all the way back when rear seats are folded down. Wish the vehicle came with elec open/close for rear tailgate. Seat memory works fine, but wish each key could be paired with a setting. Wish buttons on steering wheel could do more on the Nav/radio (i.e. selecting things up down etc.). Wish the steering wheel/paddles spacing was adjustable. Wish there was a roll up dog screen as in the Cayenne & my old Audi S6.

Handling is great and power is fantastic: this is quick and handles as if it is significantly lighter than it is - braking is great, too ... but as with all of these high performance vehicles with great brakes: I hate how dirty the wheels get. But I won't trade away that braking ability, so it is what it is and I love the wheels (especially when clean!). Still need to figure out what I'm going to do with snow setup - its sounding like my only option is another set of 20s, although I'd much prefer to mount 19's with the snows.

We've experienced the occasional gremlins: (1) Key not recognized; (2) Phone won't synch via bluetooth; (3) SAT Radio doesn't work; (4) Hood popped on drivers side while on the highway - but safety latch kept it in place.

Recently, I've noticed the susp. noise / something loose / metal on metal noise when going over bumps. I also remember getting something in the mail from LR that there is something they need to fix. Also notice a lot more supercharger pulley/belt noise than I think it should have.

Weird shifting issue: I come down a long (10 min) windy road in the morning and usually shift into 2nd via paddles ... even though shifter still in D position, once I get to the bottom and accelerate, it will not shift for me unless I move lever to the left and then back to the right. It seems as if leaving it in 2nd for long period of time, the computer "thinks" (ha ha :roll: ) that I've moved lever to the left. Not a big deal, but minor annoyance.

That's it for now - would highly recommend the vehicle and if you can spring for the SC, you will not be unhappy with all of the other upgrades (susp, interior, wheels etc.) that come with it. As a current Cayenne owner, too ... had thought when the new ones came out that we'd swap the '04 for an '11, but after owning the RRS, I'm pretty sold on the RR as our SUV and need to find something else to replace the Cayenne with!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had the same rig for about the same time. Nice write-up. Keep us posted on what you decide to do for winter tires.
Weird shifting issue: I come down a long (10 min) windy road in the morning and usually shift into 2nd via paddles ... even though shifter still in D position, once I get to the bottom and accelerate, it will not shift for me unless I move lever to the left and then back to the right.
This is actually a feature I like. Hitting the paddles while in D is sort of a temporary command-shift mode. I think it won't switch back to D until you are driving for a while in the same gear that D would use. If you want to switch back to D, an easier way is to just hold the right paddle for about 2 sec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts