RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 2010 RRS S/C and when I got home I realized there was condensation inside ALL the light units, even the fog lamps. Both headlights had condensation and were foggy on the inside.

Also, does anyone notice weird grinding noises upon acceleration? Is this normal?
AAA
2010 RRS SC - Bournville/Tan

·
Registered
132 Posts
the headlights are not sealed - allowing for the HIDs to dissipate heat generated
happens on mine when its cool and rainy/snowing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine also gets that way and I was thinking of claiming it but now that you mention it it may be something normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i also had this same issue (front and rear head lights), however dealer told me to give it a few days. sure enough everything is all good now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thought I would share this picture. It was -27 C (-17 F) yesterday and when I drove into my garage I noticed ice build up inside my headlight cover. Is this safe? I assume that ice build up will affect the performance of headlights during night time driving.

Am curious as to whether any other cold-climate RRS owner has had this build-up issue...

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That looks bad. We never even approach those freezing temperatures around here, but on my 2006 RRS I never noticed any condensation at all inside the headlights. It will evaporate I am sure, but it should not be there to begin with. Not that much, anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I smell a headlight recall for the 2010's on the way.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
**** right. If that's a problem affecting most 2010s (as it seems, by reading this thread) I can see how this could become a safety hazard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
its the same issue with the previous gen RRS --
temps don't get that cold in chicago but here's what happens with mine, again only when humid and cold out
all the area dealers say the same thing, headlights are not sealed

·
Registered
23 Posts
same here, condensation both rears and fronts. called dealer the sec I noticed it. Dealer told me to give it a few days and it would go away. well it did, but several weeks later condensation is back. I'm kinda getting frustrated with all the little things going wrong - mostly electronic, but nothng major so far. Land Rover sent me a survey, I'm waiting until I hit 5k miles to give them a full review. Paramus dealership also hasn't been exactly the greatest experience and the dealer knows it. they mentioned that they would give me $250 credit towards accessories if I rated them excellent across the board, which they are far from. and I found out later that I was eligible for $250 credit anyway - unbelievable.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Dealers are scared s**tless of getting knocked on those surveys, you should use yours as leverage to get your leaky headlights fixed or replaced. :twisted:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine looked exactly like those pics when I drove it home from the dealer the other night - puking rain & 50ish in the bay area all night. Oddly enough, I noticed it on the 2010 Cayenne S I test drove that night as well as my '04 Cayenne S. I think it might be "normal" if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seano said:
Mine looked exactly like those pics when I drove it home from the dealer the other night - puking rain & 50ish in the bay area all night. Oddly enough, I noticed it on the 2010 Cayenne S I test drove that night as well as my '04 Cayenne S. I think it might be "normal" if that makes any sense.
definitely not normal, way back in the day when I first noticed condensation on my BMW, I brought it over to dealer. everything was covered, SA told me the vacuum was broken and they re-sealed the headlight and I never had this problem again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think the headlights are sealed though. "Way back in the day" for your BMW was probably before Xenons? I don't believe the headlights are sealed because of the heat so there is no vacuum. I have had the same issue with my Corvette when it was humid out and then cooled off in the evening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thought I would share the e-mail response from my dealer on this issue (I posted the pic on the first page). This is simply a cut and paste from the e-mail. Given the ventilation I can understand the physics...

"Land Rover replied that under certain conditions, very cold temperatures after a car wash that uses warm water and/or removal from a heated garage to very cold temperatures, condensation/ice may occur. This is considered normal under these conditions. This style of headlamp assembly is ventilated. it is not a sealed unit as it has to cool the light assembly itself."

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Follow up: Land Rover North America has finally acknowledged that condensation in headlights of some MY2010 RRS and LR4 may indeed become excessive and will replace affected housings under warranty, see TSB enclosed.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts