RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Referred to manual- did all it suggested. Anyone else ever run up against this. Changed battery out today in key set and tried my backup set of keys. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Several different software updates, failing CJB, or medium speed CAN bus going down are the three most common causes.

When this happens, press the Hazard switch, see if the lights flash, both on the dash, and outside the car.

Try placing the key on the shifter surround, or tossing it in the backseat, it uses different, and different types of receivers.

If all that fails, disconnect the battery, wait about 10 minutes, touch positive and negative cables together. But report back on the flashing lights before anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok- lights outside work, the lights inside however do not. going to disconnect battery next?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok-got it to start by placing key under column and finally started. However now there are no interior lights or radio or any console options. Was only able to do this after I left the battery undone for 10 minutes and touched both negative and positive leads. Also- the battery is needing too be charged. Could this be from a low battery?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
I started getting that message right before my OEM battery died on me.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It could all be the battery.

With the outside lights flashing, and inside not, your medium speed CAN bus was down, which can happen if the CJB gets locked up due to low battery voltage.

I would suggest having the battery replaced if needed, and having all of the fault codes in the vehicle cleared out, this way, if the problem does return, there are not a lot of erroneous faults in various systems.

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
101 Posts
is the truck still under warranty? I had same issue they fixed it under warranty

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
I had the key fob battery die on me too. It took three times cycling the truck on/off to reset the computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right- RR got taken to Houston RR yesterday, just spoke with them and they are baffled. Cannot figure it out at all. There is some sort of open circuit that is not allowing the car to start. I did tell them how I was able to get the car started and they did, just cant get anything on the inside to work, radio, gauges, etc... Anybody ever have something like this?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It sounds like the medium speed CAN bus is falling out.

There is a spot on the bulkhead, above the ABS modulator that is known to short and cause similar issues.
But there are also a few other issues that I have seen cause this, it needs to be properly diagnosed, they need to call their FSE (field service engineer) if they do not know how to diagnose the system correctly.

It can get tricky, but it isn't that complicated. Step one is clear out all the faults, then reproduce failure, then induce the same faults by manipulating the busses. That lets you know where to start looking, past that, it is a simple electrical diagnosis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts