RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've had this problem since the day I bought the car from the original owner in 2016. Here's the problem/symptom.

When you press the tailgate open button (the circle in the bottom right of the rear tailgate) sometimes you don't hear that "pop" sound and the door cannot be pulled open. To get it to open, I apply a light-medium amount of pressure on the tailgate itself. Applying said pressure does "something" and you hear that "pop" of the rear tailgate unlocking as soon as you press in on it.

Attempts at fixing it have been centered around adjusting the two rubber "stoppers" (for lack of a better word) that are attached to the bottom corners of the rear tailgate. This seems to fix the problem temporarily. I can shut / open the rear tailgate just by pressing the button as many times as I want without issue. However, after leaving the rear tailgate alone for a few days, it always gets stuck again - necessitating that I apply pressure like I mentioned above.

Is this something as simple as getting a new softclose actuator? Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If sounds like it won’t open because it thinks it’s already open. That would explain why applying pressure fixes if and maybe why it works when the rubber bumpers are adjusted.
To test my theeory you could open the tailgate and press the button. If there is a logic circuit that prevents the activation of the release mechanism when it’s already open then you won’t hear anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traceatlantic you are on the right track. While testing your theory I realized there are actually two sounds, not one.

The first is a "pop" that happens as soon as you press the tailgate open button (happens when it's closed or open). The second is a "motor" sound that happens when I put pressure on the tailgate.

The motor sound is what only happens 1/2 the time. I imagine this is the soft close mechanism. When it goes to release / rollout the cable, it must think the tailgate is open.

Any ideas on what I can play with / adjust? FWIW the dashboard light for having an open tailgate is never illuminated. Either something is plain broken with the soft close mechanism, or I need to make some very small adjustment somewhere (like the tailgate striker cover).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To close on this issue - I found out that my tailgate wasn't opening because I wasn't holding the button down long enough...

I was pressing the button and releasing it asap. Sometimes this worked sometimes it didn't. If I simply keep the button pressed in for say ~1second it seems to be working every time.

One member suggested adjusting the tailgate striker. I thought about adjusting it but decided not to so that I wouldn't risk making anything worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts