RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Did a search but could not find my issue on the forum. Not sure what's going on here but this has happened on a few occasions.

Every now and then when I go to lower the suspension to access height I get a warning to "reset when clear of obstacle" as the suspension lifts the car to Off-Road Height. WTF? Every time this has happened it has been either in front of my mother's building when I would pick her up/drop her off (nothing in front or behind the car to trip up a sensor) or in a parking spot somewhere. To be honest it has only happened three times and the last time it happened there was a huge decorative rock in front of the spot I parked so I thought that it tripped a sensor on the front bumper and caused the car to think there was an obstacle in the way so I backed off a few feet and tried to lower it again but got the same error. I'm going to try and reproduce the error tonight and then run a scan to see what comes up but I was wondering if this is normal or if it needs to be looked at. CPO runs out in 7 months so I'm trying to get as much repaired as possible.

Thanks for reading

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
There are no sensors on the front bumper, with the system operating normally you would need to be grounded on an actual obstacle under the car for the EAS to sense the obstruction and rise to extended off-road height. In your situation, I would perform a recalibration of the suspensions (via a dealer or indie shop equipped with suitable diagnostics) as one or more of your height sensors may be out of whack and feeding bogus numbers to the EAS control module.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Umberto, can this be done with the IIDTool? And what about The parking sensors? Would these cause the EAS system to produce an obstacle error?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yes, if you have the IIDTool you can most definitely do your own calibration, just arm yourself with a good tape measure and lots of patience. Detailed instructions are in the IIDTool manual. Park sensors have no effect on how the suspensions behave, even if they are faulty.

Since you own the IIDTool, also scan the EAS module for faults, there may be some stored possibly giving you a hint on the issue.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Umberto this is definitely an option but I just shot a video of the issue and was able to recreate it on the first try so armed with that I'll take it to the dealership and see what they say about it. Also, after seeing the exact message on the display just now I was able to find an earlier thread describing my exact problem.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/33404-suspension-extended-mode-issue.html

So it looks like if this is covered under the CPO warranty I'll just let the dealership handle it. If not I'll try doing the re-calibration as per your instructions.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all,

Just wondering if this means anything since the dealership is telling me that one of my front air springs is leaking as a result of this issue. Yesterday I was able to lower the car to access mode successfully on three occasions but did it while the car was in motion. Every time I have re-created the suspension warning it has been while the car is in park but it seems that if its in motion this warning does not come up. The catch here is that the car does not wait until it reaches 30kph before raising itself to normal height but seems to do it at around or under 20kph. i have not yet done the calibration of the EAS system but I'm wondering if this just means that the calibration is all that's needed.

To give more insight, the front and rear go up and down at the same rate and after parked for hours on end the rover sits evenly and not lop sided like some have mentioned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this same issue when I first bought my Rover. The dealer tried re-calibrating the suspension, then checking for leaks and air bubbles in the lines. When neither of those options resolved the issue, they replace the front struts + alignment under warranty.

FYI - Cost for recalibration = $390. Cost of strut replacement = $1860.92. I strongly recommend leaning on them to resolve before your CPO expires.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Patrick,

I think I'll do the recalibration first and see what happens but I'll take it as a warning that the struts are starting to wear which is par for the course. The car is now 5 years old so yeah, I'm not surprised. If the re-calibration done through the IIDTool can buy me some time, that's enough to budget for the job. CPO has little to do with it since the struts are not covered as far as I know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't get it. Your dealer is telling you a front airbag is leaking, but you never see a front corner dropped in the morning? I think your dealer is full of BS.

If you had a leaky air bag, that corner would drop over night and in the morning you would notice it. As Umberto said, I think you need your height recalibrated.

I noticed when my front struts started to go South, the suspension got uncomfortably firm--which is the opposite of cars with springs. I suspect that more air is used to return the car to the proper height since the strut loses its dampening ability. Have you noticed your ride has become harsher lately. If so, that could be an indication that your front struts are going bad.

Lastly, changing the front airbag units is not very difficult. Since it comes as a complete unit, there is no spring to compress making removal and installation very straight forward.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I completely agree with you in that all it may need is a re-calibration as I never noticed the car dipped to one side in the morning. My driveway is on a slight incline so I'm not sure if this masks the tell tale symptom so to be sure I'll check it at work where it's sits on level ground for about 12 hours. Nothing seems obviously wrong or out of the ordinary. The ride is just as it's always been and there is no other issue other than that little gremlin raising my car without my permission. Codes reveal nothing so the next logical step is a re-calibration. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as the dealership goes I think it's a mis-diagnosis as they checked it once and immediately said I need my struts replaced. They could have said we will start with a re-calibration and see if that helps but they may not have because it would have been an added charge on something not covered. I guess we'll see what happens after the calibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts