RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
One more thing that is a possibility...

I was out alone yesterday without the kids so was able to do some spirited driving and decided to pay attention to the truck and where and when it has weird spots. I had a really hard time getting it into the 2700 rpm range. In normal driving conditions it would shift around 2500, if I laid my foot into it the would wait till 3500 or above to shift.

These trucks have an adaptive shift system that learns your driving patterns and adapts the shift points to make the smoothest and best performance based on your terrain and driving style.

This vibration with all the info that's been given almost sounds as if your adaptive system needs reset and relearned. It seems its holding the gear too long and your getting a vibration similar to when your driving a manual transmission and you hold the gear too long and the engine trans driveline gets slacked.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,123 Posts
I'm glad someone else brought up the FACT that a wheel or driveline problem is SPEED related, and not RPM related. The wheels know when you hit 2700rpm's huh? Same for the driveshaft? Yeah, OK.
It's engine/front end of trans related, period.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah - if it is rpm related and not speed related - it is unlikely to be wheel/tire/suspension - but since it also effects the steering - it is more likely to be something that is connected to the steering - that varies with engine speed - as someone else said - power steering pump / pulley - I'd get mechanics stethoscope on the pulley/pump (carefully) and listen for bad bearing etc noises ....

If it were something in the transmission or engine - hard to see how that would mainly be felt through the steering wheel -

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Any chance this is a bad engine mount?

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Didd you ever resolve this issue? I am having the exact same problem.
The best answer I found was something called "harmonic resonance." It's essentially a resonance that's inherent to something like 20% of all range rovers from that year. In order to "fix" it you need to rebuild the engine. I used quotes around the word fix because nothing is technically wrong. It's just annoying if you harmonic resonance happens in a RPM range that you frequent.

@RRS10AK did you just start having this problem or did you recently buy a used RRS and have noticed the issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
PowerBerries, you're lucky 2,700rpm is high enough in the rpm range that you won't hit it cruising on the freeway. Mine happens at 2,200rpm which translates to 75-80 mph in 6th gear. Most of my vibration is felt through the floor pan. Steering wheel vibration is minimal. Since there is also a change in sound, I'm starting to think it could be resonance from the exhaust system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently purchased this vehicle. It's not terrible by any means, just noticeable. Starting to feel like its something I am going to just have to live with since everything appears to check out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem solved! After being at the dealership for week, I picked the car up yesterday and the vibration at 2700 rpm is completely gone! A damper had failed causing this vibration. I believe it was somewhere near the transfer case. I haven't looked at the parts schematic to confirm the exact placement, but I do know that it is GONE.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts