RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere on this forum before, but is there an adapter you can buy so your ipod will charge while its playing through the connection cord in a 2010 Range Rover Sport? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
66 Posts
walkerr21 said:
I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere on this forum before, but is there an adapter you can buy so your ipod will charge while its playing through the connection cord in a 2010 Range Rover Sport? Thanks for any help
You kidding me? You suggest that when the iPod is plugged via the connection cord its not charging the iPod? :evil:

This is so basic - I can't believe this. I hope that you are wrong.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yeah, a Scosche PassPORT adapter should take care of that issue, you can buy it at your local Apple store or online. I also hear that there may be an updated interface cable available from Land Rover that now allows the affected iPods and iPhones (the charging issue only affects latest gen iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G/3GS apparently, and Land Rover is not the only vehicle having this problem) to charge without the need for this adapter, but I am not clear if changes have been made to the receptacle inside the car as well as to the interface cable itself - which would mean early production MY2010 Sports may still require the above adapter - or if the modified interface cable is all that's needed to retroactively charge these devices in all MY2010s out there... :think: You may want to inquire with your local Land Rover dealer, although chances are they will know nothing about it - as always.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Big surprise. FYI, this is the original SSM issued by LR months ago:

LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4
Title 10MY Land Rover Latest Apple Products not charging
Last Modified 27-JUL-2009 08:14
Category Electrical
Symptom 207000 Entertainment Systems
Content

Issue:
The latest generation iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano do not charge when used with the Portable Audio Interface ( integrated iPod vehicle adapter).

Cause:
Apple have changed the power supply strategy on their latest models. The products affected are as follows:
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G S
iPod Touch 2nd Generation
iPod Nano 4th Generation

Action:
Should a customer state that their Apple products (listed above) do not charge from the vehicle power supply, direct the customer to purchase a Scosche passPORT Car Charging Adapter. This can be obtained from various retailers or the Apple store by copy and pasting either of the links below into a web browser:
- US Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696 ... MjIwMTg2NQ
- UK Store http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS696 ... Mjg0NjU4Mw

NOTE - This change has been instigated by Apple on their products and payment for the adapter is the customer's responsibility.

Land Rover engineering are currently working on a solution, this will be the subject of a further communication.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth, my 9/09 build date Sport, purchased in January 2010, charges the iPhone 3G and latest generation iPod nano without problem. Somebody either swapped it with the updated cord, or the problem was fixed by that time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sport2010 said:
For what it's worth, my 9/09 build date Sport, purchased in January 2010, charges the iPhone 3G and latest generation iPod nano without problem. Somebody either swapped it with the updated cord, or the problem was fixed by that time.
Check again, as I beleive you (may) be mistaken. If you own a new generation iPhone (I can't speak for the nano or iTouch) the cord provided by LR will not charge the phone. My build date is 2/10 and the cord that came with the vehicle doesn't charge (but it does work otherwise). I even tried the cord from my XF which is slightly different and it won't charge the iPhone in either vehicle (there was a bulletin for Jaguar as well).

I did purchase the adapter from Apple which works but is a total joke! It doesn't stay firmly in place. I'm on the side of LR/Jaguar with this one - this was a total "scam" by Apple. Multiply $25 by how many people need the adapter - nice little racket i'd say! :think:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I am aware of the charging issues with the latest generation iPhone/iPod products and agree that Apple was just looking for easy money. I thought that that was an issue with older generations iPod as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
CA-SPORT said:
Sport2010 said:
Check again, as I beleive you (may) be mistaken. If you own a new generation iPhone (I can't speak for the nano or iTouch) the cord provided by LR will not charge the phone. My build date is 2/10 and the cord that came with the vehicle doesn't charge (but it does work otherwise). I even tried the cord from my XF which is slightly different and it won't charge the iPhone in either vehicle (there was a bulletin for Jaguar as well).

I did purchase the adapter from Apple which works but is a total joke! It doesn't stay firmly in place. I'm on the side of LR/Jaguar with this one - this was a total "scam" by Apple. Multiply $25 by how many people need the adapter - nice little racket i'd say! :think:
12/09 build date. Ipod cord charges newest generation iPod, and last generation touch, with no issues. I haven't tried any others. There is a post somewhere here with the updated part number for the new cable. My RR came with it (purchased 3/10).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jarvis said:
12/09 build date. Ipod cord charges newest generation iPod, and last generation touch, with no issues. I haven't tried any others. There is a post somewhere here with the updated part number for the new cable. My RR came with it (purchased 3/10).
So the dealer gave you the little square plug-in adapter that charges the iPhone? i.e. piece cord plugs into then it (adapter) plugs into iPhone/iPod. I ask only because the SB from Jaguar & LR indicate it's an Apple product only. :think:

The issue seems to be (so far) only with new iPhones - the cord won't charge the new generation. My old phone charged but when I go the new one in January it wasn't charging when docked in my XF. Then when I got the new RRS in 3/10 like you it wouldn't charge either despite having a newly designed cord.

I did get the adapter but as I mentioned in my first reply but it's kinda hokey and IMO a scam by Apple.
:(

·
Registered
50 Posts
My iPod cord does not include an adapter. It appears to be an OEM cord from LR. So far in my travels, I have confirmed that it charges an iPhone (2nd Gen.), iPhone 3G, and the latest iPod Nano (the one with a video camera).

Don't take it too hard, CA-SPORT. Your ride displays the speed on the center TFT screen and mine doesn't.

I'll take some pictures of the cable and post them later tonight.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
umbertob said:
Yeah, a Scosche PassPORT adapter should take care of that issue, you can buy it at your local Apple store or online. I also hear that there may be an updated interface cable available from Land Rover that now allows the affected iPods and iPhones (the charging issue only affects latest gen iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G/3GS apparently, and Land Rover is not the only vehicle having this problem) to charge without the need for this adapter, but I am not clear if changes have been made to the receptacle inside the car as well as to the interface cable itself - which would mean early production MY2010 Sports may still require the above adapter - or if the modified interface cable is all that's needed to retroactively charge these devices in all MY2010s out there... :think: You may want to inquire with your local Land Rover dealer, although chances are they will know nothing about it - as always.

Does anyone know if this issue has now definitely been resolved with the RRS, and if so, what parts I need change on my early 2010 to allow my i-phone/pod to charge while in use?

I did buy the Scosche PassPORT adopter, and it worked well at first, but because it's fitment makes the i-phone longer than the storage area in the center console easily accomadates, it didn't take long before the connection on the Scosche became loose and unrelaible. :(

Megan

·
Registered
382 Posts
Megan said:
Does anyone know if this issue has now definitely been resolved with the RRS, and if so, what parts I need change on my early 2010 to allow my i-phone/pod to charge while in use?

I did buy the Scosche PassPORT adopter, and it worked well at first, but because it's fitment makes the i-phone longer than the storage area in the center console easily accomadates, it didn't take long before the connection on the Scosche became loose and unrelaible. :(

Megan
You've done all that is available and you're not alone with your experience with the adapter - it's unreliable at best. :(

It has not been resolved by LR (or Jaguar) and I suspect never will be until a new cord is designed. I'll say it again, I am 100% certain this is an Apple issue not an LR issue. Apple changed the design of the connector with the next generation iPhone. LR can't be expected to anticipate that by providing a new cord for every phone made (would be nice though).

Consider this;
I've had (3) different Sonny Ericson phones in the past 2yrs as well. ALL 3 PHONES used the same charger/cord. That charger/cord was fully compatible in my 2007 Mini, 2008 LR, 2009 XF & 2010 LR. Each time I upgraded the phone I never had to make any modifications to the cord or car.

Apple is smart. They know people want the phone. They don't care if it works in your car or not. If they can make a few extra bucks off adapters, modifications, etc. then why not!
/:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi CA-Sport,
I know it seems that there is nothing else I can do, but the guys in the UK say that this issue is fixed, and there are apparently US 2010 vehicles that charge fine. Check out this video from LandRover Lakeside in Sept 09 when the car was launched. At approx 2min 15secs you will see the salesman actually demonstrates that the i-pod will now charge!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czMh1fIvo3k

It's enough to drive you crazy. The whole thing is absolutely inexcusable, I know that many people blame Apple but other car manufacturers seem to get it right. In my husband's Ford, the only reason he ever physically connects the i-phone to his cars i-phone docking port is is to charge it! I mean, he actually plays music through the same bluetooth connection that the phone works through. Wow, what a revelation!!! He flat out laughs at the fact that I have to connect the phone just to play music, and then practically rolls around on the floor when the phone won't charge once connected! He doesn't even have to take his phone out of his pocket for the same level of connectivity! :x Come on LandRover, this is neither acceptable nor competitive in today's technology driven market. :think:

End of evil rant :evil:

Megan

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, all you SW experts out there and I figured out how to fix it.......heehehe...JK.....WooooooHooooooo :D

Got our hands on a new 2011 RRS this morning for a "test drive" , and guess what....my i-phone connected and charged fine :)..., we then popped out the i-pod connector block in the center console lid and swapped it with mine and voila,....problem solved `)

No I did not put my old connector back in the new car!!!! 8-0= , I put the new connector back in the new car and ordered a new one from the dealer........ I know what a less honest person might have done!

Here are the two connectors side by side!

Now you see it charge with the latest connector!

Now you don't with my original connector!

Woooooohooooooooo x2!! :p `)

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Another mystery solved on rr.net. Great work! Do you have the part number for others to reference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
phil. said:
Another mystery solved on rr.net. Great work! Do you have the part number for others to reference?
Hi Phil,

We took a picture of the front and rear of the new connector that works, Do either of these pics show the part number?

Megan `)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi Megan (and all),

Your posting is brilliant and I am impressed indeed. :clap:
However I am totally confused now and turn to you (or others) for clarity. :?

Q for you:
- Is your iPhone the 4th gen version (i.e. the one released this year)?

The issue I was having in both the LR & XF were not with the iPod Connector Block, it was the cord. My XF & LR each came with a cord that when plugged into my "old" iPhone it charged fine. It was when I upgraded to the new iPhone (3rd gen) that the cord (from both cars) would no longer fit the phone unless I purchased the silly adapter from Apple: this is why I consider it an issue with Apple. Apple changing the connector (on the phone) rendered the cord useless. I see no reason for this other than to make a few extra bucks by selling the sub-par adapter. (This is why I give props to Sony Ericsson for their cords & chargers being interchangeable)

My hunch is the 2011 Connector Block (as seen in your pix) is for the 4th gen iPhone and, I'm guessing, would require a different cord? I'm thinking you must have the 4th gen iPhone which would need the new Connector Block from the 2011 to solve the issue you were having in your 2010? I don't need the Connector Block I need a cord that fits the (3rd gen) iPhone... Or, preferably, for Apple not to require a new cord every time they update the phone. So for now, I'm afraid for some of us the problem still persists unless maybe we upgrade to the 4th gen iPhone & 2011 Connector block? :(

I'm very interested to read your (or others') reply as I am a bit confused now with your Connector Block "revelation". :thumb:

Cheers,

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
:clap: Megan, nice work and photos to document it all!

For MY2011, the iPod lead / interface cable is available as an extra cost - $75/100 or so - accessory from your nearest dealer (the lead is no longer included with the car, as mentioned within the 2011 spec sheet), part # LR019691. Only one lead, so evidently it works for both older and newer generation iPods and iPhones out there? LR engineering must have changed the configuration of the pins within that in-car receptacle to make it compatible with both old and new devices, as Megan's post appears to confirm. Megan, how much does the updated connector cost, give or take?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts