RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
My friend, welcome, to the Darkside.

lol

So after two weeks of commuting I have this to say. I love this truck (car?, SUV?). I feel so comfortable in it as I head down the road at 80+ at 3am and going back at 15-20mph at 2pm!
It has all the room I need, even swallowing the original 280SL hood I had in the garage and taking it and a fender over to my storage unit. The only thing is that I have to date had 18MPG as my BEST trip average, but you have to understand that this wonderful vehicle comes with a price ;)

My mother in law likes that access height feature as she can get in and out with out help.

Hip Hip Hoorah for Land Rover

Oh as far as oil goes, I changed it and the filter last week and will send the oil that was in the engine when I bought it for analysis. That will help determine intervals going forward.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Hi, 18 MPG is not so bad, I can't get more than 11 in NYC. I do 35 miles roundtrip 50/50 highway/streets
As far as:
Current:
Monika '74 MB 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 MB 280 SL ex-Zender
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone:
Rudolf ‘86 MB 300SDL
Bruno '81 MB 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW

do you name all your cars?
What is going to be LR's?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Personal Best!

Yeah, I pretty much name all my cars that seem to warrant one. Some are just "the blue car" or "the CJ"

The RRS is Reginald - he is too butch to be a girl, and is a posh Brit. bestmpg.jpg

Hi, 18 MPG is not so bad, I can't get more than 11 in NYC. I do 35 miles roundtrip 50/50 highway/streets
As far as:
Current:
Monika '74 MB 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 MB 280 SL ex-Zender
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone:
Rudolf ‘86 MB 300SDL
Bruno '81 MB 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW

do you name all your cars?
What is going to be LR's?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So after 5 months and almost 30,000 miles running up and down I83, I695, I95, and I495 on my commute from PA to VA I have some observations and some questions...

First of all, this vehicle is amazing. It handles the crappy constantly under construction crumbling interstate system in PA, MD, and VA with style and grace. In the early mornings (4am) I can fly around the Washington Beltway. If you have ever driven it when there is no traffic, it is a fast twisty road. I usually do around 90 mph running from I95 to Northern Va. It is comfortable and relaxing even at speed.
On the way home I am doing 9mph instead of 90 and the trip is still relaxing and comfortable.
The only gripe I have is that I can barely crack 20mpg, which when you consider I am flogging this beast and passing Corvettes, I have to give the RRS a break.

Other observations, with the seats down the cargo area is impressive. Whilst not huge like the cargo bay in the Suburban, it seems to be able to handle most loads from luggage for a week to bags of river rock to a shelving unit. I have had to buy a black blanket that I can unfold to cover the carpet as I do not want it to get filthy, but it is a real truck, sort of like crossing a Clydesdale with a thoroughbred if you knbow what I mean.

Now for some quibbles... When I first got the car, the body lean warning would come on maybe once or twice a week. I flushed the fluid and changed the filter under the car, but the light would still come on. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped coming on. Not complaining mind you, just finding it strange.

The Sat Radio has not worked since I bought the thing. The VIN shows that it has Sirius-XM, but it does not even show up in the menu. it is not grayed out, just not there. I need to get it into a Land Rover dealership to get it looked at.

The wheels and tires are great in the dry and in the wet, but I do not want to use these Continental Extreme Contact DW tires in snow. Do any of you have suggestions as to which 19 inch wheels and either snow or all terrain tires to get? I would like a set of 19 inch wheels and tires for moderate off-road use as well as for snow, possibly a set of wheels and two sets of tires, leaving the 20 inch set up for highway running.

I have looked under the hood and I can't even FIND the spark plugs. Since I now have 94000 miles on it, I want to change the plugs before I hit 100,000. I would hate to have to take it to a dealer for that...

All in all, I am very impressed with my British friend and I am glad I went RRS instead of getting that big Mercedes S550 4matic I was originally looking at...

Cheers!

·
Registered
795 Posts
On an 88 liter tank I can got from Ottawa to Toronto and still have a little under 1/4 tank left. To me the fuel economy on the highway is impressive given this thing's size, shape and weight. Driving in the city is what totally kills it. I can average 10-12 liters per 100kms on the highway (as long as I keep it around 115kph) which is comparable to my Audi A4 1.8T but in the city it shoots up to 15-19 litres per 100kms. It's literally a night and day comparison.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts