RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Let me introduce myself, My name is Joe and I am starting a new job where I will be commuting 110 miles each way from PA to Va daily after four years of working from home. The wife thinks I am nuts for doing this, but it is more $$ and more of a challenge than what I have been doing.

My quandary is this, now that I need to do this commute, my 1974 Mercedes 450SL will not work as a daily driver! Of course this lets me go buy something new, which makes me happy.
I was looking at the 2010-2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged or a similar year MB S550 4MATIC. I have never had a Range Rover so this would be a new experience for me. Whilst I am familiar with Mercedes and have a support group on benzworld.com, I have never owned one newer than 1986 so a 2010 would be a new experience as well.

That being said, does a 2010-2011 SPORT SC work for a long distance commute? I need COMFORT and the ability to get home under any conditions. Having this replace my long lost Jeep ZJ as an off roader would be great too as we go down to the Outer Banks each year and we like to run on the dunes and I would love to get into metal detecting here in PA.

For you guys living with these vehicles, what should I look for and what should I run away from when it comes to the SC? I love the idea of the 510HP supercharged engine, I always wanted a "special car" Like an AMG :smile:

How has living with the 2010-2011 been for you?

What can I expect to go wrong if I buy one with 50-70K miles on it and make it run down the highway every day? I am already thinking of oil filters every 2500 miles and oil changes every 5000 like I used to do with my 1986 Diesel Benz when I had a similar drive.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted you to know where I am coming from and what I want this for.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a really clean 2010 yesterday and took a long test drive. I LOVE those 510 ponies under the bonnet and even the wife liked it :) (Need to make sure she is happy with what I buy)
I do have one question about wheels and tires. In the winter, what do you do with the Summer tires? Do you swap the tires for Winter tires on the same rims or do you have a spare set of wheels with Winter/Off-road tires on them? If you have a second set of wheels, did you do go down in diameter so as to get a taller sidewall tire? I would love to be able to put a smaller rim with taller tires on it to go off-road and for the winter.

This one has 74,000 miles on the clock, but has been taken car of at the local Land Rover dealership her entire life. The PO traded her in on a new SVR! I guess 510 wasn't enough HP!
What are your average maintenance costs and schedules? Do you do the work yourself? I am good with mechanical tinkering (see my post above about the MBs) but these computerized beasties are beyond me.
What type of diagnostic tools should I be looking to get before something goes wrong?

What is your real world MPG on the SC?
How many of you actually take them on trails to show up the Cherokee crowd?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 2010 SC so I will chime in here. First let me tell you how I use my vehicle. Daily I use it to drive to several real estate assets that I manager within a 40 mile radius. On the weekends, I drive it to may place down on Cape Cod which is about 2-3 hours each way. Down there I take it off road on the sand dunes; making multiple trips per weekend out over the sand.

The good with this vehicle is the ride. I have owned Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW's... The 2010 SC is my favorite vehicle on the highway. It is effortless to drive and you feel like it knows your next move. If you were to ever take it off road, it is incredibly capable. There have been several instances where everyone else is getting stuck, and I have no issues at all. My favorite part of the SC is that I feel completely safe. The power is endless, and if you think about the 3 tons that it weighs getting up to speed so quickly, it is an amazing piece of engineering. Another plus, is I have never been broken down or left stranded in my SC.

The bad is also very present in these vehicles. First, you want to find an independent garage that specializes in these vehicles, which can be hard. Dealers can be expensive, and not all of them are actually good at what they do, despite being trained. I am lucky enough to have an independent garage that has the best of the best working for them about 20 min from me. Be prepared to spend several thousand every visit to the shop. I have had the super charger, front differential (twice), rear differential, control arms, wheel bearings, rear ACE bar, all replaced. Currently my truck is in the shop because it has the old style timing chain tensioners, so I am having the front of the engine pulled off and new chains and tensioners installed. Another thing to consider is the gas mileage. While I get “ok” mileage on the highway, my city driving quickly depletes that. I get about 300 miles per tank.

Now keep in mind, a lot of these repairs are likely because I do take my vehicle off road, so you will likely not run into a lot of these things, but be prepared that they could happen. If this is not a CPO, I would suggest getting an extended service contract that will cover these sort of repairs. My current service contract that I purchased has paid for itself five-fold so far.

In summary, if you decide to go with the SC, it will end up being one of your favorite vehicles ever.. But it will test your patience from time to time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I am looking for a good indy right now in the York, PA area. I have my Mercedes guy and my Volvo guy and they say that they can work on the RRS, BUT.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't speak for the 2010 model, but here is what I was doing a year ago:

I got an RRS 06 in March of 2015. I was driving between AUS-DAL-AUS 2-3 times per week. About 1200 miles per week. (My waze status shot through the roof) The 06 was amazing on these trips. Never felt tired from having to "drive" it that often. I would suspect that your daily commute would be easy in the 2010.

Be prepared to explain to the wife that all maintenance appear much more frequently on the calendar with the type of driving you are about to do. Mine was confused why I had to buy two sets of tires in 2015

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meet Reginald or Reg for short!
2010 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged! MEOW! Going to make my hell commute a happy one!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Beautiful pick up! You're going to enjoy EVERY SINGLE MILE on that commute. Shoot, even traffic. Lol. Our S/c has slowly but surely become a daily and it's honestly like flying first class. Cheers!

Meet Reginald or Reg for short!
2010 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged! MEOW! Going to make my hell commute a happy one!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
As long as you don't mind tanking up every 1.5 days, there's no better/comfortable setup. But your gas bills are going to be huge...hopefully you've factored that in

·
Registered
309 Posts
if your 2011's MPG ratio of 12/17 hurts your pocket too much, you can always trade it in for a 494; it's 14/19 respectively Lol

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
I think for that kind of driving (about 4500 miles a month), I'd buy a Passat TDI (have one actually) and get 45 mpg, probably spend $200 a month on fuel, vs. $600 for the RRS at 15 mpg, but if the company is going to subsidize part of the gas bill...well...style trumps mileage then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
With the recent VW TDI scandal? I think i'm good off a VW! Prius FTW!

nonetheless, almost ANYTHING on the road get's better MPG than the L320 lol

I think for that kind of driving (about 4500 miles a month), I'd buy a Passat TDI (have one actually) and get 45 mpg, probably spend $200 a month on fuel, vs. $600 for the RRS at 15 mpg, but if the company is going to subsidize part of the gas bill...well...style trumps mileage then.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Beautiful rig... The way I see it is, if you don't want to pay for the fuel bill, don't buy the car. Driving one of these is a lifestyle in my opinion. Otherwise why would everyone pay for the fuel and the repairs?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
With the recent VW TDI scandal? I think i'm good off a VW! Prius FTW! lol
True that is still unresolved...but the car runs perfectly. Eventually will get resolved...super smooth 6 speed manual, enviable MPG indeed. Prices are good also if you can get them...or Audi or MB Diesel as you are very familiar with too. No thanks on the fugly Prius!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lol; agreed. Blutech gets my vote! No knocking TDI, I still believe they're well crafted motors

True that is still unresolved...but the car runs perfectly. Eventually will get resolved...super smooth 6 speed manual, enviable MPG indeed. Prices are good also if you can get them...or Audi or MB Diesel as you are very familiar with too. No thanks on the fugly Prius!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Definite Plus on the Bluetec...one of these days, I'm going to get a Sprinter MB 4x4 Sportsmobile equipped with that wonderful diesel engine...combo of smooth driving, very offroad capable and ultimate comfort for touring.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a '07, now have a '13. It's perfect for highway cruising. Seats are super comfortable (more comfortable than seats in cars 2X more expensive than RRS). Captain chairs with adjustable armrests are awesome - no shoulder/neck fatigue. It's quiet and drives like it's on rails (because of DRS). Bad weather is not an issue, just make sure you get rid of stock summer tires. And then there are little extras - heated steering wheel, heated windshield, etc.

When I bought the '13, I drove it from LA to Denver (over 1,200 miles) and now use it for long road trips. You dont get tired, even after spending many hours behind the wheel. Although I only had a few minor issues with my '07 and no real issues with the '13, most of the forum members here did have various issues, so my advice is try to get a CPO RRS from a dealer, because the extra investment into a CPO vehicle will pay for itself when it comes time to replace something.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I am already thinking of oil filters every 2500 miles and oil changes every 5000 like I used to do with my 1986 Diesel Benz when I had a similar drive.
The synthetic oil and filter used by 2010+ 5-liter V8s have a claimed life of 12 months or 15K miles, whichever occurs first, according to LR. Even if you want to play it safe and cut that interval in half, which is what a lot of owners here do, I think you'd waste your money (a lot of money, that synth oil is expensive) replacing oil and filter every 2500 or even 5000 miles. Your long distance commute on paved highways is hardly considered "arduous conditions", and you could easily go 7500 or even 10K miles between oil changes in my opinion.

Congratulations on the ride, it is beautiful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after two weeks of commuting I have this to say. I love this truck (car?, SUV?). I feel so comfortable in it as I head down the road at 80+ at 3am and going back at 15-20mph at 2pm!
It has all the room I need, even swallowing the original 280SL hood I had in the garage and taking it and a fender over to my storage unit. The only thing is that I have to date had 18MPG as my BEST trip average, but you have to understand that this wonderful vehicle comes with a price ;)

My mother in law likes that access height feature as she can get in and out with out help.

Hip Hip Hoorah for Land Rover

Oh as far as oil goes, I changed it and the filter last week and will send the oil that was in the engine when I bought it for analysis. That will help determine intervals going forward.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts