Range Rovers Forum banner

2010 RR Sport spoiled damaged by wind

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  garrycol 
#1 ·
Tonight while driving home on the highway in severe weather (tornado watch was in effect-- so rain, lightning, extremely high winds) I heard a noise that sounded like something crashing into the roof of the car. Fearing that it was debris hitting the car I continued and figured I would asses the damage at the next safe place to stop, probably home in my garage.

When I stopped I saw a wire hanging down the back windshield and saw that the top part/panel of the rear spoiler was missing--- it must have been ripped off by the wind while I was driving and that was the noise I heard :( Scary. The wire hanging down was the back up camera that now is only a white cap-like device on the end of a black wire. Back up camera screen is totally black when I tested it so that will probably need to be repaired/replaced. Ugh. Brake light is fully operational and still intact.

My question is--- will I need to replace the entire spoiler, or is that particular panel sold on its own and can be replaced by itself?

#2 ·
You'll probably have to replace the entire thing. These spoilers tend to come off due to shoddy design. When I wash my car and feel the rear spoiler I notice how flimsy it's attached to the rear hatch. I wonder if anyone has found a way to make it feel more solid without resorting to drilling holes.

#3 ·
Exact same thing happened to me at 90mph or so. Except "severe weather" in my case was one really hot Arizona summer.

Yes, you will need to replace the entire thing. Will need new paint, but otherwise labor should be minimal. I had the shop paint the new part before I dropped off the car. From drop-off to pick-up was half a day.

#9 ·
Exact same thing just happened in my 2011 Range Rover Sport. Driving down interstate and apparently top spoiler deck lid with the attached backup camera went flying straight up in the air. Only knew I had lost it by a car pulling along side waving me down as the piece had struck their car.
mine flew off on the highway last week when I was driving 110kmph and it literally just missed the car behind. I’mfighting with JLR head office as they are refusing to accept responsibility even though I have found at least 20 others.

I would really appreciate if you would send me a bit more information. Any sort of communication with JLR etc as I’m building a case against them for being negligent and not fixing an issue with their cars that pose such a threat to other read users!

#4 ·
You're going to need to replace the whole thing. Easy to do

I also had a loose/rattling spoiler and fixed it by removing it, separating the top from the bottom (they're just glued together and the adhesive is brittle and weak so if yours is rattling they'll just come apart in your hands most likely.

Then I "glued" them back together with clear RTV Silicone. Lay a bead right over where you'll see the factory stuff was, press the parts together, clamp or tape them together overnight, and reinstall after fully cured. The silicone provides and strong, waterproof AND flexible seal.

No more rattling tailgate. Feels solid and no more cheap feeling.

-John
'10 SC

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
My spoiler was damaged at the car wash this weekend. This is my 2nd spoiler. Fortunately for me I kept the remaining parts from the first spoiler that was damaged and my current one. I will be taking parts from my first spoiler and reattaching it to my current spoiler. Is there a difference in which RTV clear silicone to use since your link to that one on amazon is out of stock (brand wise and strength/grade) and any other tips or advice when attempting this? TIA

#7 ·
It was an automated carwash. It happened on the last step of the carwash where the dryer comes over the contour of the car with im guessing sensors that keep it from actually touching the car but getting real close in order to dry it. I assessed the damage after and saw that i would be able to repair it with the parts i had so i was reluctant to complain to try to get something out of it. Guess it's back to hand washing like i have done so in the past.

#8 ·
Don't go with the touch less car wash. A soft cloth automated car wash is good enough and it cleans well. A hand car wash is best though.

#11 ·
You are really flogging a dead horse with this in Australia with JRA. Unless you sue JRA to enforce consumer laws, you are unlikely to get any success.

Save yourself some grief and stress and just move on - think of all those people with SDV6 engines that are blowing up and owners not getting any success - a rear spoiler will have little chance unless you initiate legal action yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.