RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to buy a new Sport w/ Lux package and I'm not really understanding the dealers tiny discounts I'm being offered. I'm going to buy it and I've gotten $1k off MSRP from one that won't move and $2k off from another. I understand they're hot, have supposedly low inventory (although they both have 8-10 on their lot), but I've never paid anything close to MSRP in my life. Invoice on these things is right about $58,500 including the lux package (i maybe be $500 off here). Has anyone gotten a good deal out there? If so, what did you get? I'm willing to pay about $2k over invoice, am I smoking crack?

·
Registered
270 Posts
im not in the market for a new rover, but if you feel you have a good handle on the invoice numbers, why not shop other dealerships around the country, or even go through a broker and see what you get.

Keep us updated on what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would wait til mid 2010, more dealer will be willing to give you better deal. or do what the previous member suggested shop from dealer a bit further from where you live.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i went through the same thing when i started my hunt - dealers were quoting msrp with a little reduction - in hundreds, maybe 1K - i hired a broker who found me one for 3500 below msrp (minus his fee) by expanding the search - then a local dealer beat that to make a sale on an in-stock vehicle. my understanding is that the deal i got is pretty rare at the moment - especially here in the bay area. they definitely wanted to move a car and i was in the right place at the right time and pushed pretty hard. plus i let them get a good deal on my trade in cause i wanted to get rid of it and didn't feel like selling privately. in a normal market it's not unreasonable to expect those deals or better - but inventory is still very low and dealers are moving them pretty well. to be expected the first year of a new range rover engine. the market will obviously soften soon, so if you want a better deal, wait or shop as many dealers as you can or hire a broker. fyi - there is a $1,500 financing incentive that the dealer won't tell you about, but will give you if you finance any part of your purchase, and if you're coming off a lease, there is another $3,500 available - again the dealer won't advertise these, but they are out there and i'm pretty sure it's why i was able to get the deal i got, even though i wasn't coming off a lease. but the dealers have those numbers factored in their margins. check out edmunds for the latest incentives, i think the current ones expire 01/06/10, but there'll be new and better ones i'm sure.if you're willing to take delivery of an in-stock car and don't care about color or options you will do better. if you want a specific color and specific options then the dealer will have to wait for an inbound unit or make a trade and you will have a lot less leverage. i'd say find the one you want - tell the dealer you will give him 5K below msrp and see what happens. that'll get you near your 2K over invoice. the worst that can happen is they'll say no and you'll move on...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you should be able to get more off then 2k. I got 2k off my black on black supercharged and it was the only one the dealership had. the dealership told me they would give me "alot more" off an HSE, but I wasn't interested and bought the supercharged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I think 5k under MSRP is reasonable too. I'm going to expand my search and call some dealers in hard hit places like Florida and Newport Beacch. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
spangdp said:
Thanks for the help. I think 5k under MSRP is reasonable too. I'm going to expand my search and call some dealers in hard hit places like Florida and Newport Beacch. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Try going to the dealer the day after Christmas. Only the young, desperate to make the Dec monthly quota salesperson will be working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
any suggestions on getting the $1,500 out of the dealer???? just pick a red RSS lux last weekend and got the lease incentive, but no mention of the finance offer ?

I did finance through LR/Chase.....................

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
MAD916 said:
any suggestions on getting the $1,500 out of the dealer???? just pick a red RSS lux last weekend and got the lease incentive, but no mention of the finance offer ?

If you financed through Chase then the Dealer ate your $1,500

·
Registered
23 Posts
MAD916 said:

Can you get the $1,500 on top of the lease incentive?

·
Registered
83 Posts
my understanding is you can get both the lease and the financing incentives. the dealer will not tell you about them, but if you push them, they will give it to you. but definitely not after the fact - that dealer definitely ate your 1500 clams... CAVEAT EMPTOR

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was quoted 500 over invoice for a '10 HSE Lux in Los Angeles. The first quote from them was $1000 off sticker then I hung up the phone. 5 days later they called me with new "special pricing"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got $1755 off of my RR Sport SC ... and got them up another $1000 on a trade. Honestly surprised they moved at all on the SC - seems like there are so few around they wouldn't have budged

·
Registered
472 Posts
If a trade is invovled, all bets are off on the real NET discount received IMHO. Too much fudge involved.... :?:

·
Registered
121 Posts
There should be no fudge on the trade-in price - Market Value is Market Value and the auctions determine that. The dealers follow the auctions such as Manheim, they all have access to the "recent sold" list or The Black Book to get a actual street prices. Do your home work but don't trust Edmonds or Kelly Blue Book as they are usually way off base and only get you pissed off.

My dealer gave me $31,500 for my 2006 RRS HSE LUX w/35K miles, a week later he sold it for 34,045. I think that was fair.

·
Registered
472 Posts
acole10000 said:
My dealer gave me $31,500 for my 2006 RRS HSE LUX w/35K miles, a week later he sold it for 34,045. I think that was fair.
What you fail to account for is what this did to impact the MSRP discount you may have gotten w/o a trade....your big benefit was the sales tax credit for the trade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 RRS HSE with Lux
$65,395 MSRP
$61,427 Gross Cap Cost
less $3,500 Rebate for competitor's lease (Lexus)
less $1,286 cap cost reduction (my contribution) - $2,870 total paid at signing
$56,640 Adjusted cap cost
36 month lease @ 12K miles per year = $941.18/mo + $58.82 tax/mo = $1000/mo total

This was in Massachusetts

·
Registered
121 Posts
BWB RRS HSE said:
acole10000 said:
What you fail to account for is what this did to impact the MSRP discount you may have gotten w/o a trade....your big benefit was the sales tax credit for the trade.
The Sport was $69,245, the dealer gave me a $31,500 trade and a 3rd time customer discount of $3,500 - Net Cost $34,245 add to that $2,045 in tax (6%) and thanks to President Obama's Economic Stimulus Package - Sales Tax Deduction for 2009, I get the tax back as a deduction. Add to that The Small Business Tax Advantage - since I own a small business and the sport is over 6,000lbs, I get to depreciate 90% over 4 years - I AM DRIVING IT FOR FREE (I think)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The other thing that amazes me that after 4 years, I had 56% residual value. Purchased the 2006 in 11/05 for $57,000 and traded it in for $31,500 and it was fully depreciated for 90% of the purchase price.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Sport was $69,245, the dealer gave me a $31,500 trade and a 3rd time customer discount of $3,500 - Net Cost $34,245 add to that $2,045 in tax (6%) and thanks to President Obama's Economic Stimulus Package - Sales Tax Deduction for 2009, I get the tax back as a deduction. Add to that The Small Business Tax Advantage - since I own a small business and the sport is over 6,000lbs, I get to depreciate 90% over 4 years - I AM DRIVING IT FOR FREE (I think)
Yeah - that's a close to free as your gonna get. Not an OH-BOMB-US fan but I'm taking the tax credit to!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts