RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to whether anyone else with a 2010 has had this problem with flash drives for the audio system. I have tried three different USB drives and all have resulted in a "Device Error" indication. The local Land Rover dealer tried a flash drive for a Jag XF and it worked just fine so it is not the vehicle. Any suggestions as to what commercially available USB flash drives might work would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have now formatted all 3 flash drives to FAT32 and am about to test out the last 2 in the vehicle. The first one gave the same "Device Error" message. Hopefully, one of the last 2 will not. I have the local Range Rover dealer asking their tech support for an answer to this increasingly vexatious connundrum and if they provide an answer, I will gladly share it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With some assistance from this link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic47727.html

I have finally gotten something to work. It turns out the message "Device Error" doesn't seem to have much to do with the USB flash drive itself (the "Device"), but likely more to do with the files on the drive. Despite the fact that the system easily plays MPEG-4 files from an iPod in the Range Rover, if those same files are on the flash drive it gives a "Device Error" message. Naturally, just copying the iTunes files over to the flash drive is the most expeditious way to get them there but, of course, that can't work.

Having gone to the trouble of converting a couple of MPEG-4 files to MP3 in iTunes, the flash drive (a Sony 4GB in this case; formatted FAT32) worked and the songs played. It seems that AAC audio files can be converted to MP3 in iTunes but any number of ones purchased from the iTunes store are Protected AAC audio files and cannot be converted.

I hope this is helpful to others and I greatly appreciate the kind advice I have received on this forum.

Best regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add to the confusion with the "Device Error" message, the system also gave me that error with a correctly formatted flash drive with no files at all on it! Thanks again to everyone for their assistance in working through this. Best regards.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
Range10Rover said:
With some assistance from this link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic47727.html

I have finally gotten something to work. It turns out the message "Device Error" doesn't seem to have much to do with the USB flash drive itself (the "Device"), but likely more to do with the files on the drive. Despite the fact that the system easily plays MPEG-4 files from an iPod in the Range Rover, if those same files are on the flash drive it gives a "Device Error" message. Naturally, just copying the iTunes files over to the flash drive is the most expeditious way to get them there but, of course, that can't work.

Having gone to the trouble of converting a couple of MPEG-4 files to MP3 in iTunes, the flash drive (a Sony 4GB in this case; formatted FAT32) worked and the songs played. It seems that AAC audio files can be converted to MP3 in iTunes but any number of ones purchased from the iTunes store are Protected AAC audio files and cannot be converted.

I hope this is helpful to others and I greatly appreciate the kind advice I have received on this forum.

Best regards
It's the long way around but you could burn those songs to CD and then turn around and import the cd back into iTunes as MP3s. Not elegant but at least you can get the music on your jump drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the suggestion! Actually, I had planned on attempting something along those lines to get the rest over to the flash drive. Best regards.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did you put the files directly onto the flash drive, or are they in a folder?

Some systems need the files to be in a folder in order to read them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2010 Vogue. When connecting iPhone (4 or 5) or iPod in "iPod" and "USB" connectors, only "device error" will show-up. It is charging the devices in both case but I am unable to listen to the music and access any content on them. Can someone help?
Thank you
Z

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get from my reading that files need to be converted into MP3 or FAT32 to be readable in a 2010 Vogue? How would you then do with "Spotify" music?
Z

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I solved it by only placing .mp3 files on the drive. It is a pain in the ass with using a Mac and iTunes. You have to select all the files that you want to put on the drive and then convert to .mp3 by right clicking. Then after that you have to go find all the .mp3 files outside of the iTunes and copy and past them to the flash drive.

Hope this helps. I was really frustrated with it as such I haven't update my music for 2 months. It's my wife's truck and she listens to the radio mostly so it isn't that big of a deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts