RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am at a garage thinking I was gonna get my winter tires put on but because of the aluminum jackets covering the lug nuts the guys can't get them off without stripping the jackets and damaging the lug nut. Has anyone ever run into this? My next option is to get lug nuts that don't have this aluminum casing over than but I'm concerned that some of these eBay lug nuts are not made to spec.

Has anyone else bought BARE lug nuts for their Range Rover? If so, can you please let me know where you got them and provide a link?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Your "shop" is full of morons. The sleeves on the nuts are an often damaged item thanks to impact wrenches and monkeys operating them. Apparently this clan of apes or the previous clan already screwed up your nuts. At this juncture just let them rip off the lug nuts as they are already damaged. The web is full of solid lugs easily purchased for $120 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
These lug nuts(for some reason I notice it more on the +10s) are really prone rusting internally, causing the caps to kind of balloon out to the point that the correct size socket doesn't fit on it.

You can usually use a 23mm once they've started to enlarge without causing damage, but they will probably need to be replaced the next time they come off.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
From experience, the aluminum covers aren't damaged by impact wrenches. It comes from using US measure sockets instead of the proper 22mm (If I remember correctly) socket. The US measure sockets will fit over the lug nut and work for a few times, but it leaves just enough of a gap that it warps the aluminum over the bolt. Over time, they get damaged. I now carry a felt covered 22mm socket with me in the car for the shops to use.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
and who uses those impact wrenches? any competent shop will hand torque lug nuts. proper torquing, even with a socket that is a MM off will not result in distortion and breaking the sleeves loose.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
770 Posts
Been through this a few times.

First issue is the tyre place using a 12 point socket and not using the correct hex socket a hex socket grips the entire lug nut including the flats where the 12 point only grips the points of the lug nut and spins the stainless cover on the nuts.

A rattle gun if used correctly with a hex socket is Ok BUT operators do not take care and over torque doing up and undoing causing the cover to move.

If the cover does slip and you cannot get the nuts off - used a cutting grinder of some type and cut a X in the stainless cover 9make sure you do not go into the nut underneath - then using a small cold chisel or even a screw driver slowly and carefully chisel the cover off the nut. The lug nut underneath can then be removed using a 1mm smaller hex socket.

Care is the name of the game in removing these and using a hex socket of the correct size. I loosen mine by hand first with a hex socket and then remove with a rattle gun on low torque - same when doing up - rattle gun (low torque - hex socket) just to the point the nut is hand tight and then tighten by hand.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help... PRPJ I'm gonna look into getting those lug nuts soon. Gonna ask around for pricing come Monday. One thing I can't beleive those guys DIDN'T have was a 23mm socket..... This shop SPECIALIZES in selling tires. They can;t bother to buy 22,23,24,25mm lug sockets?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
They can;t bother to buy 22,23,24,25mm lug sockets?
To be fair, I only own a 23mm for this specific reason, and I don't own a 25mm socket/wrench... and I like tools more than most.

I do use an impact(electric) on these almost exclusively, and I have no issues unless they're already expanded. The big thing I dislike about impacts is the use of torque bars, these causing techs to 'hammer' on the nut much more than it should be, and realistically, they should never be tight enough that the impact needs to hammer much to get them off.

Most of the time when my 22 doesn't fit however, I find that once the nut is off, and set down on the lift, there's a sizable pile of rust that dumps out of it, where as ones that fit fine tend not to leave much of a mess.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I said that only because they are a tire sales and installation shop so it's a bit odd (and stupid) that they didn't have the 23mm or the other sizes. In my opinion it's a small investment to have ALL your bases covered when someone comes in with a requirement that is out of the norm. It just shows customers that you're taking this seriously and it's not a **** show operation.

Fortunately just one cap was stripped a little. I think the lug itself is still good so I'm sure it can be removed fairly easily. As for the rest, I'll use them as spares once I get the Gorilla nuts.... Or is it Gorilla's nuts?

Thanks PJPR01 for the link. I ordered them last night.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
:+1::+1: better Gorilla nuts than Tim Bits! Ha ha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts