RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving yesterday pulling a small U-Haul with my 2010 range rover sport. While I was driving about 60 miles an hour I heard a grinding noise for a second been lost all gear power. I was able to pull over and stop all the electric still work as well as mechanical except for when I put it in any gears Only the engine Revs up No motion. I have tried all the gears and get nothing but when I put it back in park there is a grinding noise. Would you think I would need to replace the transmission? Could it be anything else? FYI I had been towing for a couple of days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Trans is probably fine. Grinding when its put in park is because the output shaft is still turning, like putting the car in park while it's still moving which suggests that your transfer case, drive shafts or possibly one of your diffs failed. You'll need to put it on a lift, check codes etc...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
326 Posts
I would agree with Argilla11.
If noise is prominent, simply having someone do the shifting and someone under listening with stetheoscope will confirm where noise is coming from. You can probably do the same even now, raise the truck, throw moving blanket under. Exersize extreme caution with antiroll blocks under the wheels and park prake on.
Regardless of your findings, repair shop is the only place you probably going to with exeption of a drive shafts - those probably can be replaced, with a lot of hassle though, on the spot.
I think transfer case replacement will require body-chassis separation, hopefully not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts