RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2010 Range Rover HSE and would like to install a Viper Smart Start car starter (its the starter that is controlled by the iPhone) I am being told by Best Buy it's possible with a 1101T Universal Bypass module but a higher end installer tells me it is not possible. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think we've had topics cover this in the past. Short answer is: yes it is possible, but you have to sacrifice a key and you may still have trouble with it unless it is done by someone with RR specific experience. You can use timed air circulation or pre-heating. It isn't easy to get a fuel burning one in the US, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did search viper before I posted. I know I will lose a key, I was just told it wasn't possible by 1 installer and yes by another. Looking for direction

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
rnewhart said:
I did search viper before I posted. I know I will lose a key, I was just told it wasn't possible by 1 installer and yes by another. Looking for direction
why do you lose a key?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Unfortunately, although I've read that it is in fact possible, I don't have any further leads. I guess if you find a local installer who says they can do it, you can take one for the team and let us know how it goes :think:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Gazellio said:
rnewhart said:
why do you lose a key?
You need to bypass the security/immobilizer, which requires the a key with the specially coded chip for your vehicle to be placed in a special transponder mounted in the vehicle. Also note that these systems may be illegal in some places (I assume not where you live or they wouldn't be selling them at best buy) because you aren't supposed to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running. I haven't really looked into it since I haven't been interested in one, but I remember reading it....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would not recommend doing this at all. It truly is not worth the trouble at all especially because it will probably not work at all. I received this system as a gift and Best Buy tried to install it and failed terribly after molesting my Range Rover. Do yourself a favor and don't do it, because going out to start your car the "old fashioned" way is not that bad.

·
Registered
159 Posts
youngbro401 said:
I would not recommend doing this at all. It truly is not worth the trouble at all especially because it will probably not work at all. I received this system as a gift and Best Buy tried to install it and failed terribly after molesting my Range Rover. Do yourself a favor and don't do it, because going out to start your car the "old fashioned" way is not that bad.
i could only imagine the mess that some bestbuy a-holes would leave. i still think that this is an interesting idea because "going out and starting your car the old fashioned way" means that you have to sit in it while it warms up or cools down. that's no fun....

·
Registered
65 Posts
It probably can be done. I put an autostart in my 2004 range Rover. The newer models may be a slight bit harder but possible. You will have to give up a key. You probably have atleast 1 if not 2 extra.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Get a TDV8 and use the pre-heater with remote function. Much better as nobody can drive off while its warming up, I get out of bed and point the remote at the car - engine warming job done and very cosy cabin when I get in and safe in the knowledge the car is locked up and the keys in house `8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gazellio said:
Get a TDV8 and use the pre-heater with remote function. Much better as nobody can drive off while its warming up, I get out of bed and point the remote at the car - engine warming job done and very cosy cabin when I get in and safe in the knowledge the car is locked up and the keys in house `8)
We aren't allowed to have a TDV8 truck in the US... It's not "green" enough.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
woldd90 said:
Gazellio said:
We aren't allowed to have a TDV8 truck in the US... It's not "green" enough.
Sorry I thought the TDV8 was now available on 2010 models but I was wrong /:(

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, it sucks... But, Government always knows best. :naughty:

·
Registered
748 Posts
dear god the bills from that screwup job would be astronomical. for just putting in the system LR would probably negate the warrantee for any little thing related to startup or ignition or security.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only place I found that could install a remote starter on my 2010 Range Rover was called Performance Electronics in New Hampshire. I am located in western New York and it was over 300 miles to the shop but this is my first Range Rover and I didn't want to take any chances. This guy knows Range Rovers and I didn't feel comfortable having a pimple faced kid at Buy More (you know who I mean) practice on my truck even if they could do a 2010! It wasn't cheap but was right. Like I tell my customers you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RangeRoamer- where in western NY are you? I just saw this Viper iPhone app (I also heard there's a few others too) and it's really cool. I figured it'd be a pain to install the remote start on the car, but at least to have the keyless entry would be worth it if it didn't require that much work. How much did the guy in NH charge? Anyone else have any insight if it's easier to install the Viper system and only utilize the lock/unlock feature?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts