RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2010 Range Rover since mid February (my fourth Land Rover). Absolutely love the vehicle except for the entire infotainment system. The OEM Navigation is absolutely many generations behind, in appearance and GUI, compared to BMW, Lexus and MB. As I have stated in previous posts, with all the advances included in the new rovers, the TFT screen especially is under utilized. My hand held Garmin gives me more info in a user friendly format. I cannot reliably sync my Blackberry Bold 9700 without intermittent service. My friend's 2010 Jaguar XJ (Latest model) is having software issues, however the capabilities and interface is well ahead of its sister brand. Go figure.... All comments would be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
As I recall, all of the Mk-III RR (since 2002/3 MYs) navigation systems, and much of the other electronics are behind the times and less user-friendly than many other less expensive vehicles provide.
My '03 had an outdated system when it was new.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree my 06 is a little behind for it's time too. Especially the Sat radio interface. That said the NAV itself functions very well and is the best I've used (for a built in system anyway). I kind of like the simplicity of it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally agree with the simplicity of the prior generation Nav system. My 2007 RRS was excellent based upon the BMW standard and was seemingly less worried about being accessed on the go.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a 2010 as well as an '06 so I can compare the two nav systems directly, the '10 is better, but neither is as good as my iphone which I tend to use.

Let's face it, the main problem here is not the software, it's the bloody trial lawyers. Because of them my passenger can't enter a destination or otherwise modify a route while we are moving. And because of them the TFT screen is pretty much a place holder as it doesn't tell me anything really useful like the nav directions or even which track is playing on my ipod. Epic FAIL, but LR is not alone in this, the entertainment systems in pretty much every car I've driven have been hamstrung to some degree because of fear of litigation. Hell I was at 5 Guys burgers the other day and the peanuts had a label on them saying that because of a risk of peanut allergies I can't take the peanuts outside the restaurant. effing lawyers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
remington said:
...Hell I was at 5 Guys burgers the other day ...
Mmmmmm. Now I've got to make a trip to 5 Guys. There outta be a law! :lol:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ya know, I may be wrong, but I can't remember ever having a problem inputting a destination while on the roll. Of course it's usually the passenger inputting it, but I can't recall having problems doing that. Maybe mine was modified or a setting changed before I had it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts