1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 FFRRSC has the 5 Hiline camera system,
the RF camera showing a blue screen,

Aafter some searching I found that there was a signal generator and short cable available to boost the signal to the junction box..

I got a booster box and cable

What I need to know is where is the booster supposed to be connected,
IE near the camera thats my guess,
or near the collection box.

Where is the junction box where all of the camera signals are collected located in the truck.
Thanks for your assistance

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
The camera module is under the driver seat.

Raise up the seat and motor it as far forward as it will go.

There may be a plastic cover, which is held in place by two plastic cross head "screws" at the front edge.

Either undo with a stubby screwdriver or, if access is tight, gently pry out the "screws" with a small flat bladed screwdriver, leaving the outer part of the retaining clip in place.

The camera module is held in its mount with two 10mm socket head nuts.

You should see the individually colored cables connected to module.

For instance, the tailgate camera is the BLUE connector.

If the tailgate camera was the culprit (I realize your fault is in is the RF*) you'd remove the blue connector and install the filter in-line, reconnecting it to the module ENSURING that you allow for a gentle bend/arc in the cable. DO NOT allow the cable (or any of the cables) to make a tight 90' turn.

Refit the module if you undid the two 10mm nuts to gain better access to release the cable's connector plugs and refit the cavity cover, pushing the two cross head screws into their respective clips.

Rob

*I don't remember the colors to the front bumper, however, once you have access to the camera module, you can determine exactly which color connector is to the RF camera by disconnecting them independently and testing to "see" which one it is.

Alternatively, you can look up the part number for that camera cable and it will likely give the color of the connector.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob thanks i installed the booster and short cable but its not working,
gonna wait till warmer days to troubleshoot further,

I did swap the cameras left to right and they are both working.
next guess is its a damaged cable,

looks like their are 3 cables with cut off leads next to my collection box so this issue has been reworked a few times as well as finding 2 other booster boxes under the collection box.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
If I was in your your shoes here's what I'd do....

Source a new camera cable to use as a test cable. You can purchase camera cables via eBay etc to replace the likely damaged original(s) for well under $50 (fifteen minutes of shop time!).

For example*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-CAMERA-WIRE-FRONT-REAR-VIEW-RANGE-ROVER-2010-NEW-LR025935-/361914527379?hash=item5443c96e93:g:hj0AAOxycmBS78Wb&vxp=mtr

* This MAY NOT be exactly what you need. While researching the ideal cable to use as a test cable, make sure the "new" connector is identical to your existing cable - look directly into the cable's connector plugs ends and determine if it's a multi-pin or single pin cable.

These are available at differing lengths so determine how long you'd need to reach directly from the camera module to the bumper camera, laying it across the engine compartment, and use this as your test cable.

Plug the [new] cable directly into both the camera module and the bumper camera.

If the camera now works with the test cable installed, you have a couple of choices. The original cable is a two piece affair, with a connection from the under-hood harness to the body harness in the right front footwell, by the A-post.

There are a couple of camera cable connections in this A-post vicinity = one to the mirror and one to the right front camera in the passenger footwell area, in the "corner" next to the A-post.

Run the passenger seat all the way back. After removing the wide aluminum trim along the door sill (gently pry up from the door side to release the four plastic clips if you want to be able to re-use those clips), then remove the A-post trim by pulling it backwards with a sharp tug.

You'll then see three large multi-plugs, which connect the body harness to the under-hood harness etc. Those plugs are clipped into a mount and at the bottom of that mount you should see a pair of camera cable connectors retained in their clips. You will probably have to pry up the right front corner of the carpet to view this area.

If the carpet is too rigid to allow easy access, remove the passenger's side footwell trim panel that runs from the firewall to the center console. Remove one screw from up under the upper left corner of the passenger side footwell then tug the lower edge of wood trim part slightly towards the passenger door then once it's released, slide it towards the back of the car to release the panel.

That may now give you enough "movement" to pull up the right front corner of the carpet. The carpet will be under tension so you may want to use a 10 inch long piece of 2x4(e.g.) to prop it away from the area you're trying to access.

That shouldn't take more than fifteen-twenty minutes, so far.

You should now be able to see the two cable connectors. Ensure that they are both solidly connected. If so, and the camera still doesn't work, you'll now need to determine which "half" of the cable is no good.

The cable to the bumper passes through the large round grommet in the firewall. The one to the mirror goes into the A-post connector plug.

Take your time and disconnect the connector which obviously joins the cable coming through the large grommet.

Now, with your test cable, plug one end into the camera module and the other into the cable connector going through the grommet in the firewall, assuming that the combination male/female connectors will allow this.

Does your camera now work?

If so, the problem is the cable running from the camera module, under the center console area, under the passenger seat and along the passenger front door sill to the A-post (easiest half to change).

If not, disconnect the test cable from the module and refit the original connector plug back into the module.

Depending on the male/female orientation, you may be able to plug your test cable into the original cable connector from the module to the footwell and "bridge" from the footwell area connector to the bumper camera.

If your camera now works, you can be fairly certain that your problem is in the cable from the bumper camera running within the engine compartment, passing through the firewall to the body harness connector at the A-post.

Of the two, I'd rather change the cable in the cabin (body) than the one through the engine compartment but, either way, at least you'll know what you need to order, in order to fix it.

Good luck, Rob

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob thanks so much for taking the time to detail this repair,
let me get busy finding the cables ,
thanks again, Stan

·
Registered
1 Posts

Aafter some searching I found that there was a signal generator and short cable available to boost the signal to the junction box..

Where is the junction box where all of the camera signals are collected located in the truck.

Hi, Where did you source the signal booster generator? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts