Range Rovers Forum banner

2010 bluetooth still behind the times

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  walkerr21 
#1 ·
I got to sit in a 2010 sport the other day and took the opportunity to thoroughly test out the bluetooth with my Blackberry Bold. The good news is that it fully works as intended, so I probably shouldn't complain too much, based on reports from the previous model.

However, the design seems a bit cumbersome and antiquated compared to the competition. Currently I have experience with the Chrysler u-connect system, and the Parrot aftermarket systems, as well as a number of headsets. All of those make use of my phone's voice recognition, where I can just press the phone button and say "call <name>". Just one step, and no name tag recordings necessary. The rover requires recording name tags for each entry you want to call into the car's computer. Also, you have to press the voice recog button instead of the phone button. The phone button just does a last number redial (or a number you've entered on-screen). Because it uses the general voice recog button, you have to be more specific about what you want to do.. "phone dial name". If they used the phone button, then "phone" would be assumed and you could just say "call" for a name and "dial" for a number... much more efficient. Redial could be done just by holding the phone button for a longer press (that's what the Parrot does). And the last gripe is that there is a 2nd step... you have to wait for it to ask "who do you want to call" before saying the name. That should be completely unnecessary these days.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
It's this kinda of stuff that makes me wanna get a BMW instead
Actually, I just checked out the BMW X5 today, it's pretty much the same. The new 2010 model (due by the end of the month) does recognize my contacts without recording, however, the procedure to place a call is even more cumbersome than the Rover. You have to say "Phonebook", then wait for a prompt, then say the name of the contact, then wait for a long prompt to ask if you want to call that contact, then you have to confirm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.