RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to sit in a 2010 sport the other day and took the opportunity to thoroughly test out the bluetooth with my Blackberry Bold. The good news is that it fully works as intended, so I probably shouldn't complain too much, based on reports from the previous model.

However, the design seems a bit cumbersome and antiquated compared to the competition. Currently I have experience with the Chrysler u-connect system, and the Parrot aftermarket systems, as well as a number of headsets. All of those make use of my phone's voice recognition, where I can just press the phone button and say "call <name>". Just one step, and no name tag recordings necessary. The rover requires recording name tags for each entry you want to call into the car's computer. Also, you have to press the voice recog button instead of the phone button. The phone button just does a last number redial (or a number you've entered on-screen). Because it uses the general voice recog button, you have to be more specific about what you want to do.. "phone dial name". If they used the phone button, then "phone" would be assumed and you could just say "call" for a name and "dial" for a number... much more efficient. Redial could be done just by holding the phone button for a longer press (that's what the Parrot does). And the last gripe is that there is a 2nd step... you have to wait for it to ask "who do you want to call" before saying the name. That should be completely unnecessary these days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's this kinda of stuff that makes me wanna get a BMW instead
Actually, I just checked out the BMW X5 today, it's pretty much the same. The new 2010 model (due by the end of the month) does recognize my contacts without recording, however, the procedure to place a call is even more cumbersome than the Rover. You have to say "Phonebook", then wait for a prompt, then say the name of the contact, then wait for a long prompt to ask if you want to call that contact, then you have to confirm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's what I was griping about in the original post. It's a bit long-winded, so hard to spot :wink:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a 09 LR3 and it would not work with the iphone. Everything else worked but no one could hear me. I was told that the iphone was a computer not a phone and that was a reason. I moved up to an RRSC and now it works fine but it's been reported that the audio is a little garbled. My Daughter bought an 09 LR2 and she had troubles too. She got another phone and now it sounds fine. It seems to be the phone, some work well and others don't. If your buying you might want to check that out before you decide what to do. Land Rover aren't the only car companies that have these problems, The can only improve the tech every year to keep up with all the new phones.

Oh for the days when you just plugged your phone into the car and everything worked all the time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its a hell of a lot better than what is in the previous models (at least 06-07s)....in those older cars my experience is that no one can hear me, and I have had all 3 models (LR3, Fullsize 05, fullsize SC 06, Sport) and its been the same in all 4!

At least in the 2010 I can have a normal conversation like I can in our 2008 M3. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got my RRS 2010 HSE and have been using my iphone with the bluetooth pretty flawlessly except for sometime when i got to pick up an incoming call it wont play over the speakers and im forced to actually use the phone to talk...anyone else have this problem? It only happens every other time or so

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts