RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: 2010-2012 Range Rover S/C - Brake Pad Life & Suggestions

interesting let me know what u discover regarding the akes. if its so, ill stick to hawk ceramics - ebc ceramics prob worth trying but i haven't mustered up the courage given a bad experience i had a long time ago with ebc.
I heard back from customer service at Akebono this morning... Here is what they say:

Akebono Customer Service said:
Thank you for your inquiry on our brake pads. I have spoken with our Tech Team on your question. Unfortunately, the pads you mention, EUR1479(A) are for aconventional Range Rover and since yours has the Brembo caliper they will notfit your vehicle. Due to the size required we do not have the machines tomake pads that large as well as our other requirement of vehicle demands.
Sorry that we are unable to assist you
So essentially, Akebono is not tooled up to produce such massive brake pads and there is also very little demand for RR S/C pads in general. Bummer, but it makes sense.

Front vs rear
Is this the difference between Hawk Ceramic (Front) vs Akebono (Rear). Hard to say if its really a pad difference or simply the fact that the Front brakes do more work.

Bill,
Part Number: 573343J
I did some research on that P/N. It looks like the Ceramic pad P/N is 573343JC... but it is sold for the 4.4L Turbo Diesel but not the Supercharged. As such, it is not really an available part in the United States. It also does not appear to have the proper provision for the brake pad wear sensor probably because the sensors were not equipped in the markets where the 4.4 TD was sold.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Same brand of pads - oem. Im going back to ceramics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts

Im having a senior moment- does ebc make ceramics for our 2010+ SC?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

To answer your first question this is my experience... funny I was just basically going through the same thoughts and just created a thread. Totally missed your post before posting mine... Sorry to the admin

First brake job on mine was 16,552 miles (Fronts only)
Second - 24,313 miles (Rears only)
Third - 43,000 miles (Both front and rears)
Fourth - 66,461 miles (Fronts only)

Now at 73,000 miles my rears are squealing and dealership says they are at 3-5 mm in the yellow.

Lastly, does anyone feel that the truck is underpowered brake wise? It seems like mine at least struggles under the heavy weight of the vehicle. They also seem to fade quickly with more spirited driving. I will have to consider the pads you all have mentioned I hate the squeeling.

I would love to know recommendations as well on where to order the brembo pads (thanks for answering my question on my thread that our rides do use brembo pads)

BillConn what year is your 7 series? I had the 2008 750LI and 08' 750I back in the day loved that car.
I don't feel the brakes are underpowered at all on the S/C but at the same time, I have not really pushed the truck too hard. Its mostly soccer-mom duty and light towing, so fade is a non-issue.
As for the Brembo pads. It looks like they only sell them for the fronts. Price is fantastic @ $44/pr from Rock Auto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10204376&cc=1502897&jsn=389
I have no experience with them, but ill give em a shot. I don't think the Hawks will be worth the premium @ $130/pr.

For the 7-series, I have an E38 right now. Probably the best 7-series BMW has ever built. I had an E66 750il before and while the car was really nice, it just isn't the same as an E38. The technology in the E66 took away the pure drivers experience of the E38.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Wld be great to compare brembo vs hawks ceramics

·
Registered
61 Posts

So no brembo pads for the back? I just had my fronts done so just need the rears now. Will have to check on where I can find the rears.

Too funny, We have the ML350 4-matic I see you have the GLE. Looks like we have somewhat similar taste in cars.

IMG_8207.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts

The rears you can dk whatever u want - they dont dust nearly as much.

Im gonna try ebc greens on my 13 lr4- hoping for the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts

The only way to go on brake replacement, Go original pads. Why? because they stop with authority. Reason you buy a Range Rover SC is for performance and stopping power. Spend the money and go original pads, if you want factory performance brakes. Remember why you bought RR SC .I got 40k out of factory pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I did brakes on my Range Rover 2011 in December 2018. This is the second set 83,000 miles. First set done around 40,000 miles. (shown here) .
Installing factory pads and EBC rotors. I also do a brake fluid flush. I would rather live with brake dust , than poor performing brakes. So I'm good to go for another 40K.
IMG_20181219_190744153.jpg IMG_20181219_164225095 (3).jpg IMG_20181219_164243230 (2).jpg IMG_20160714_142704.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hard on brakes. Are the replacement factory pads, or aftermarket? 40,000 miles first replacement on front and rears. Second replacement on the fronts at 80K.
Factory pads is the only way to go. I cheap skated on my XJR brakes and I hated it. So you if you play hard you got to pay.

·
Registered
413 Posts

What makes you think manufacturers go with “best” pads as opposed to ones they get the best price on? Manufacturers are notorious for not utilizing beat in class parts and to think the oem pads are the best stopping is a conclusion reached without evidence. Im not saying buy the cheapest pads, im saying buy the best pads. Unlikely the oem ones stop better than all of the other available options.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The only way to go on brake replacement, Go original pads. Why? because they stop with authority. Reason you buy a Range Rover SC is for performance and stopping power. Spend the money and go original pads, if you want factory performance brakes. Remember why you bought RR SC .I got 40k out of factory pads.
I generally agree (not brake specific) about O.E. parts... and will often seek out the OEM parts minus the auto-makers box... best of both worlds. OEM part without the markup for the automobile emblem on it.
I don’t have a lot of a faith with Land Rover regarding supplier selection or design though. They have re-sourced the oil filters to China. The Land Rover Mahle oil filters say “Made in China” right on the box. I’m refuse to pay $30 for a Chinese made cartridge filter. I doubt LR has even stuck with the same supplier for brake pads since 2012. It has been shopped around to the lowest bidder 5x to feed the aftermarket/service demand.
I am willing to sacrifice some initial bite with ceramic pads to avoid the dust and squeal. If I can save some money in the process... even better.
Also good on you for getting 40K miles. That’s more than 2x the average life for the SC. My wife drives like a grandma and we are getting 15-18K miles. So you must really baby the brakes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pagid/ textar / jurid are all part of the same group - so probably similar formulations for the same vehicle and they are typically the oem supplier in Europe too. The softer pads have better cold bite but generate lots of dust - so the ceramics (like akebono) give a little in cold performance but less dust. At temp, ceramic performs better, but not as good as carbon - that is used for track pads - but those typically have noise and cold performance issues - so take your pick !

·
Registered
3 Posts

Had Hawks Ceramics pad done 12k miles ago on 2011 RR SC. No dust but noise is persistent on slow braking to a traffic light. Little more pressure on brakes takes care of noise.

·
Registered
413 Posts

If the brembo ceramics have no noise, little dust, and cost less id say theyre a win. Will try them when my current pads are done.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Guys,
A couple questions regarding the brakes on my 2011 Range Rover Supercharged. I need to place an order w/ RockAuto for some other parts and thought I might as well order some brakes pads (and rotors) to save on shipping while I am at it. So here are the questions:
  1. What type of pad life (mileage) do you guys typically see on a set of pads for the big S/C Brembo brakes? The previous owner had the Fr & Rr pads done at 14K miles. This seems pretty low for pad life, but I know the RRSC is a heavy beast w/ performance brakes. I am now at 34K miles, so based on the previous change at 14K miles I feel like I must be getting close to needing a pad/rotor replacement.
  2. I read in this thread (https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/72409-brake-dust-relief-2011-sc.html) that a lot of people like the Textar rotors and the Hawk pads. Where you guys sourcing the Textar rotors in the USA? I am not seeing any online vendors for Textar rotors for the RR in the US. Lots of UK links come up when searching for the Textar rotor Part Number.
  3. Anybody have experience w/ the Powerstop ceramic/carbon pads for the Range Rover? I have used Powerstops (and rebranded Centrix) in the past on BMW's with great results. Anybody running these on the RRSC? If nobody had any insight, ill probably stick w/ the Hawks based on the input here: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/72409-brake-dust-relief-2011-sc.html
    I should mention that I am looking for low-noise/low dust pads. The current pads (OEM Land Rover Brand) squeal terribly and generate a ton of dust. The wife does not like either of these things.
Thanks in advance guys!
I recently replaced the front pads and Rotors on my 2011 sport Supercharged, using the Jurid brand pads car has 100K miles and the brakes never felt better. Important to change the brake fluid every three years or less also. Brake life is pretty much in the hands of the driver and the places and terrains that the vehicle is operated on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Comparing this to brake life on an almost equally as heavy 2004 Dodge Durango, there is no excuse for 15k on the Brembos vs. nearly 100k on the Dodge's with pad remaining. It's 100% pad material that is causing the short life. Performance gains are gotten from larger rotors, and high performance calipers with more pistons. Not from "softer" pads that dissolve in less than a year's driving for me. LR could have designed their vehicles to use ceramic from the factory and more than quadruple the replacement interval. But this wouldn't keep you coming back to the dealer for 4-figure maintenance appointments every other oil change.

Spit that Kool-Aid out and wipe your mouth.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts