RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
A couple questions regarding the brakes on my 2011 Range Rover Supercharged. I need to place an order w/ RockAuto for some other parts and thought I might as well order some brakes pads (and rotors) to save on shipping while I am at it. So here are the questions:
  1. What type of pad life (mileage) do you guys typically see on a set of pads for the big S/C Brembo brakes? The previous owner had the Fr & Rr pads done at 14K miles. This seems pretty low for pad life, but I know the RRSC is a heavy beast w/ performance brakes. I am now at 34K miles, so based on the previous change at 14K miles I feel like I must be getting close to needing a pad/rotor replacement.
  2. I read in this thread (https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/72409-brake-dust-relief-2011-sc.html) that a lot of people like the Textar rotors and the Hawk pads. Where you guys sourcing the Textar rotors in the USA? I am not seeing any online vendors for Textar rotors for the RR in the US. Lots of UK links come up when searching for the Textar rotor Part Number.
  3. Anybody have experience w/ the Powerstop ceramic/carbon pads for the Range Rover? I have used Powerstops (and rebranded Centrix) in the past on BMW's with great results. Anybody running these on the RRSC? If nobody had any insight, ill probably stick w/ the Hawks based on the input here: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/72409-brake-dust-relief-2011-sc.html
    I should mention that I am looking for low-noise/low dust pads. The current pads (OEM Land Rover Brand) squeal terribly and generate a ton of dust. The wife does not like either of these things.
Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: 2010-2012 Range Rover S/C - Brake Pad Life & Suggestions

I have used the Akebono Euro Ceramics with good results. This was on an LR3 and a 2010 L322 NA. They had virtually no dust. I have also used Hawk Ceramics, they had more dust than I would like. I can't vouch for pads on the supercharged.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately Akebono does not make a pad for the front Brembo calipers on the S/C. I have also used Akebono euros on other vehicles and have been pleased with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Does anybody have any relevant input regarding my questions? So far we've got a suggestion for Akebono pads, which don't exist for the large Brembo brakes on the Supercharged models.... and a suggestion to use OEM pads which I already have and stated that I find them to be very dusty and noisy.

(1) What type of pad life is the collective RR community seeing? 15K miles? 30K?
(2) Textar Rotors - Where is a good place to order them state side? Lots of UK based places, but nothing I can find in the USA?
(3) Brake Pad suggestions for the S/C models. Low Dust, Low Noise/Squeal pads?

·
Registered
403 Posts

30k miles.
not sure where to get textar but they're available
hawk ceramics are the preferred choice for the SC brembo calipers

akebono doesnt make pads for 2010+ SC and ive never been a fan of EBC but doesnt mean theyre bad.
i dont think textar rotors are better than oem - just go with brembo rotors and hawk ceramic (not LTS) pads

·
Registered
24 Posts

I have a 2010 Sport SC with the same brembos and I get about 15-18K miles on the front pads and rotors. I've only used OEM and had squeaking/squealing issues as well but this last set that I ordered back in September don't make any noise. I was told that there was an update in pad material.

·
Registered
403 Posts

30k miles.

akebono doesnt make pads for 2010+ SC and ive never been a fan of EBC but doesnt mean theyre bad.
i dont think textar rotors are better than oem - just go with brembo rotors and hawk ceramic (not LTS) pads
sorry i looked at my records - pads last around 15k miles, not 30k

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

30k miles.

sorry i looked at my records - pads last around 15k miles, not 30k
TT, you got my hopes up that 30K was possible. 30K is what I get on my BMW 7-series, which is also heavy with relatively large brakes. Oh well.... 15K-ish seems about right based on other posts I've read along with your and my service records.

Regarding Hawk Ceramic, I think I read another post from you stating that even the ceramics were still pretty dusty. I know you also had the Hawk LTS pads for a while too, but found them to be pretty noisy. The squeal is driving my wife nuts so QUIET is probably my top priority with new pads. How has your experience been w/ the Hawk Ceramics? Is that what you'd buy again? I noticed that Brembo is also now selling ceramic pads for the RRSC and price point is quite a bit better than the Hawks.

I am also looking at the Brembo rotors as they are coated where-as the OEM LR ones are not... and they look like **** at only 30K miles. This is the same reason I was hunting for the Textar's as well... they are also fully coated.

Jurid is OEM for Range rover Brembo 6 piston brakes and they have low dust ceramic brake pads.
I have fitted them to mine rover and I am happy.
https://www.jurid.com/catalogue.html#fitment_id=2483&search_type=vehicle&sub_brand_id=4800001
Thanks Buba, but unfortunately, it appears that Jurid only sells the ceramic compound for the HSE Rovers. Unless you can provide specific ceramic pad P/N's for Jurid for the Brembo 6-pistons.

I have a 2010 Sport SC with the same brembos and I get about 15-18K miles on the front pads and rotors. I've only used OEM and had squeaking/squealing issues as well but this last set that I ordered back in September don't make any noise. I was told that there was an update in pad material.
Interesting. Did the "new" pads still have the 3m adhesive backing? I always figured that helped prevent squeal as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the formula has been revised especially since the L322 6-pison Brembo calipers/pads carry over onto the L405 platform. With the new platform using the same front brakes means that further R&D may have been done on pad formulation. This may especially be true since the Auto industry has been rapidly moving away from Semi-metallic pads in favor of organic formulations. I believe there is legislation banning copper from brake pads in place already.

·
Registered
403 Posts

to be honest i cant remember if it was the akebonos or the hawks that were dusting more than usual. i have 3 rovers so i get confused. at one point i had hawk LTS and they were noisy and dusty so i replaced them with hawk ceramic and those were much better. i think im going to use akebonos on my l4r and hawks on the 2011 SC because they dont make akebonos for the SC.

·
Registered
403 Posts

i dont know much about oem suppliers for brake pads but i dont feel like i see obnoxious amounts of brake dust on Bmws, MBs, etc so does anyone know who supplies those manufactures with pads?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

to be honest i cant remember if it was the akebonos or the hawks that were dusting more than usual. i have 3 rovers so i get confused. at one point i had hawk LTS and they were noisy and dusty so i replaced them with hawk ceramic and those were much better. i think im going to use akebonos on my l4r and hawks on the 2011 SC because they dont make akebonos for the SC.
I found a bulletin https://akebonobrakes.com/sites/default/files/AK215.pdf regarding these new Akebono pads as shown at tirerack. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be correct for the S/C brakes. The LR P/N crossover in the Akebono PDF I have linked, does not indicated S/C fitment. They appear to only be non-supercharged trucks. I am half-inclined to place an order for the pads through tirerack/com and see what I actually receive.

i dont know much about oem suppliers for brake pads but i dont feel like i see obnoxious amounts of brake dust on Bmws, MBs, etc so does anyone know who supplies those manufactures with pads?
The OEM pads for my BMW 7-series uses either Pagid or Jurid. Can't remember which, but they dust like crazy.

·
Registered
403 Posts

interesting let me know what u discover regarding the akes. if its so, ill stick to hawk ceramics - ebc ceramics prob worth trying but i haven't mustered up the courage given a bad experience i had a long time ago with ebc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Yes they are.. Do you happen to have a p/n for the pads? Jurid does not list a ceramic pad for the Supercharged.

·
Registered
61 Posts

To answer your first question this is my experience... funny I was just basically going through the same thoughts and just created a thread. Totally missed your post before posting mine... Sorry to the admin

First brake job on mine was 16,552 miles (Fronts only)
Second - 24,313 miles (Rears only)
Third - 43,000 miles (Both front and rears)
Fourth - 66,461 miles (Fronts only)

Now at 73,000 miles my rears are squealing and dealership says they are at 3-5 mm in the yellow.

Lastly, does anyone feel that the truck is underpowered brake wise? It seems like mine at least struggles under the heavy weight of the vehicle. They also seem to fade quickly with more spirited driving. I will have to consider the pads you all have mentioned I hate the squeeling.

I would love to know recommendations as well on where to order the brembo pads (thanks for answering my question on my thread that our rides do use brembo pads)

BillConn what year is your 7 series? I had the 2008 750LI and 08' 750I back in the day loved that car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts