RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Happy New Year,

Tried to go to Scotland from Cornwall for the New Year and got halfway and Engine Fault on the dash came up and then then it went into Limp Mode got off the M6 and called Green Flag who sent out a mechanic. He plugged in his electronic box and it came up with dozens of faults! He cleared them all but said it is probably an electrical problem, maybe voltage regulator. Anyway he advised a recovery truck and get it back home to Cornwall. Since getting it back to my home I have used it several times and it's fine!

This is the second time this has happened the first time going into London. Got it recovered to a Land Rover Dealer who said the software needed resetting.

Could a Voltage Variation cause this? It was at night, in slow traffic with wipers on etc.

I have now lost all faith in this Range Rover Sport TDV8 for long journeys any thoughts would be appreciated?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,784 Posts
Sure can. Your charging system must be kept in tip top shape at all times. A weak battery will spawn all sorts of faulty errors. If your battery is more than a couple years old it's done it's job.

Don't be too hard on the old girl. A cold rainy night with headlights, wipers and low RPMs can quickly drain a weak battery or tax a failing alternator.

Run through the basic electrical trouble shooting post, link is in the FAQ stickie. There is series of test that will check the condition of your alternator, battery and cables.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your clue will be getting the codes read again after you had them all cleared. Any important issue you have come back and will be logged where the "fluff" would have been removed in the clearing.

Also simply switching off waiting for a little while and switching back on will often "fix" clear the fault lights etc and this would seem to have happened with your vehicle. Maybe would have saved the AA callout and tilt tray back home - learn how to do a hard reset - remove battery leads from the battery and touch the leads together when off the battery terminals - resets the computers - like a reboot on your PC.

Now to the problem - very possible an old weak battery - when in poor condition they do throw up codes and issues - so get it checked/replaced and the alternator checked.

Also did the codes show any Exhaust Gas Reticulation (EGR) valve issues - EGRs are the achillies heal of diesels and can make them run like a dog - should be a service item but they are not.

The other obvious thing to check is a blocked Manifold Air Pressure Sensor in the inlet manifold - they block and can cause issues - easy to clean or replace as they sit on top of the engine.

Get your codes rechecked as they should give and indication of where to look.

Garry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, sorry for the delay but it took a little while to discover that all my faults were down to the battery! Since getting it back on a lorry from half way to Scotland I have used it regularly and although various faults came up on the dash it worked fine. As the Greenflag mechanic who attended when I broke down suggested it was probably voltage I spoke to my battery man and he told me his son had the same problem on his and spent over £1000 trying to fix it at a Land Rover garage. In the end he fitted a new battery and all his problems were fixed. So I did the same, got a new battery and since then not a fault code anywhere in sight!!! Last weekend I did a 550 mile journey and it was perfect.
So my advice to anyone who is struggling with fault codes maybe try a new battery it worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts