RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group. Recently purchased this car and absolutley love it! I am due for an oil change and happen to favor the longevity and protection that comes with synthetic oil. That being said, an independant mechanic suggested that I should continue to use traditional oil because with there have been leaking issues with synthetic oil and the type of engine that is in the 2009 model. Any of you have any experience with this? Any of you have a preference between the two oil choices?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Question for the group. Recently purchased this car and absolutley love it! I am due for an oil change and happen to favor the longevity and protection that comes with synthetic oil. That being said, an independant mechanic suggested that I should continue to use traditional oil because with there have been leaking issues with synthetic oil and the type of engine that is in the 2009 model. Any of you have any experience with this? Any of you have a preference between the two oil choices?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Use either. I use Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 (synthetic/dino) in my 2008 with 80K and have no leaks, or the LR workshop manual lists Castrol GTX (made with 100% real dinosaurs) as the fill.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Almost the same as Goose, I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 since the first oil change and I'm at 83k now; no leaks. I'm no oil aficionado, but I know it's decent AND it's available at Costco. ;)

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
I have been using mobile one since 1974 never any leaks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am using Castrol synthetic in my 09 and so far no leaks. I did however put synthetic in my 85 Jag V12, and the leaks got much worse. I now use dino in the Jag along with a healthy dose of Lucas, and no leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Did someone call my name :)

I use "true" full synthetic 0w30 and done so since the 1st oil change. Been using Castrol Syntec 0w30 aka German Castrol where it states made in Germany on the back, and tried Redline 0w30 for the last 2 oil changes. Will be going back to Castrol Syntec based on oil analysis.

104K and no issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your response. I'm changing oil this weekend and am going to go the synthetic route along with a Wix filter. For those using Synthetic...change oil every 15K miles?? Or less??

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks everyone for your response. I'm changing oil this weekend and am going to go the synthetic route along with a Wix filter. For those using Synthetic...change oil every 15K miles?? Or less??
You're asking a question that can consume a lot of internet bandwidth and morph into TBN and 4-ball wear test discussions, but I go 10K-12K on my '08.

I would bet that if you used a full synthetic with a doped up add package and changed it every 20k, that your engine would still outlive the rest of the components in the car. Unless you drive a Subaru.

Paging FriscoTX :-D

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
goose...fyi i was doing 10k oil changes with lot of additive and protection left with 0w30 castrol syntec aka german castrol where 12k was easily acheiveable. how ever this was not the case surprisingly with redline at 9k with nearly all protection gone and i'm onthe road but dont recall good results with M1 too. the syns do give better protection but i think beyond 10k is not reliable unless one knows the oil and had it analysed

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Must be a chemist. BMW regulate goes over 15 K synthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts