RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing an odd symptom and wonder if anyone else has the same.

At high freeway speeds (when attempting to pass, if I hit the accelerator hard, the transmission does not shift down as with other automatic transmissions I have had. The engine revolutions shoot up dramatically, but this does not translate into an immediate response in the vehicle's speed. It is somewhat less in Sport mode, but the delay is still there. If I accelerate more gently, the power comes on smoothly.

This seems odd and somewhat dangerous, as in certain situations my learned response is to depress the accelerator hard.

Is this normal with these vehicles? I'm going to contact the Dealer, but I want to see responses here first.

Thanks and regards.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
These adaptive transmissions can learn your driving style and become as smooth as butter under normal driving conditions, but on the flip side they can also turn sluggish and unresponsive when you need to get moving in a hurry. Ask your dealer to clear your transmission "adaptions", and perhaps reflash your transmission control and engine control modules with the latest software. That will probably make a big difference. On my normally aspirated HSE, if I need to punch it I am now used to flipping the shifter from Drive to Sport at the same time (and back to D when I am up to speed), that normally does the trick and takes care of any lag in response.

PS: You can try clearing out engine adaptions on your own, I don't know if it will make any difference though. Unfortunately, only a dealer can clear out the adaptive transmission memory via diagnostics. Check out this document: download/file.php?id=1415

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
umbertob said:
flipping the shifter from Drive to Sport at the same time (and back to D when I am up to speed)
Haha, similar here, though it goes like this: flip from Sport to Manual, then back to D and then Sport when I am up to speed. :)

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
umbertob said:
flipping the shifter from Drive to Sport at the same time (and back to D when I am up to speed)
Haha, similar here, though it goes like this: flip from Sport to Manual, then back to D and then Sport when I am up to speed. :)
I also flip in my side mirrors and turn off the a/c when I pass...then its hold on for dear life as the fury is unleashed and pushes you into the seat back...hell yeah.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
then its hold on for dear life as the fury is unleashed and pushes you into the seat back...hell yeah.
No, you do not have the '10 SC, there is no being pushed back into the seat going on in your '08. :naughty:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has to be my problem. A couple of days ago I got smoked by a Chrysler 300 of all things! It was quite embarrassing. I purchased my 06 RRS used and I do notice that when I want to punch it, the car seems to gradually get up to speed instead of just going all out. Now If I'm reading your post correctly, you say move the shifter from Drive to Sport mode then back to Drive again, while punching the accelerator?

Thanks for your reply...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts