Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 RR Sport shut off while driving on the highway. I was able to restart it and drive about 3 miles before it shut off again. It was not driving properly after it first shut off. Now it won't start and and only makes one clicking sound when trying to start. I have diagnostic reader and it pulls P0340, P0345 and U2023.

I know that the 340 and 345 are camshaft position sensors. I dont' know where to find them on my car. I can't find an engine layout or anything online. i can find the parts and they seem cheap, but i just don't know where they're located on the car.

Also, by replacing the 2 sensors do you think this will solve my problem.

the battery also seems dead. After reading other posts it seems possible that's its just the battery...Does that make sense to anyone?

Could this be a bigger problem than 2 sensors?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to lend.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The 340 and 345 codes don't fit the symptoms, was the check engine light already on before this? Any other warning lights, battery light?

I haven't seen a cam sensor code fix one of these codes, usually caused by VVT failures or timing being off(not common on this motor, but seen it a few times) How many miles? Also, a cam sensor failure will not cause the engine to not start.

Simply a bad battery would not cause the vehicle to shut off while running, but the alternator failing can. This would have given you several warning messages before it actually shut off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The check engine light came on as the car shut off. I was able to restart it and dirve about a mile before it totally died.

I'll try the timing belt. And also check the alternator.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
VVT is Variable Valve Timing. This engine uses timing chains, no belts, not a common issue aside from as occasional noise.

Oil and engine lights coming on when it shuts down is normal, as the engine isn't running, same reason they're on when you just turn the key on but don't start the engine.

I would start with electrical, battery and alternator tests.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Got a CEL while driving today and scan shows P0340. Battery is new, replaced earlier this year. Vehicle has 130K+ miles. Other than testing the alternator, what else should I check, it starts pretty strong still, so I have my doubts on the alternator. Can you elaborate on check electrical?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
It's a electrical issue for sure now for me. I cleared all the faults last week before leaving, and car was sitting for a week while I was travelling. about 50 miles into a drive y'day, while manually shifting, got a suspension, transmission and brake light error all at once. Came home and restarted, all went away. Just need to figure out what it could be - alternator or ..? Battery is a new Die Hard AG battery, seems to start fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.