Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m starting a build thread to document my progress with the RRS. This should help me organize my thoughts and I’m bringing you all on the adventure.

I live in Metro-Detroit and work in the auto industry. I’m a life long car guy and can’t seem to keep anything stock for long.

<Background>
I bought this Range Rover Sport in Dec 2021 from Texas. It’s been a Texas car all of its life (no rust). I’m using this as a winter DD and general family hauler. I needed something that was good for snow and bad weather.

I was on a mission (obsessed really) with finding the cleanest Range Rover Sport I could find. I cross-shopped with similar model year X5 M-Sports and Cayennes. I found a couple of solid contenders, but settled on this one.

<My Purchase>
09 Range Rover Sport
Bourneville Metallic (blackish/brownish/purple-ish)
Cream Interior

<Initial Thoughts>
The RRS L320 is caught between being sporty and being an off roader. It seems to do well with bad weather and deep snow, but it's limited on the sporty side. Yes, it's a heavy SUV, and in a lot of ways it feels like the Wrangler I used to have, but it needs more punch. I'm hoping to address that over the next several months.

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’ve been thinking about the headlights. If I open them up, I’d want to add like a 9 inch halo around the main headlight. I think it would give it more of a G wagon or Wrangler look.

I like the idea of removing the resonator and adding an X pipe. It’ll sound a bit more aggressive. I don’t need it to sound crazy loud. This is supposed to be my sensible car haha.

Bourneville is kind of an odd duck. Once I get it blacked out, I’ll see what I want to do. I might hate it, then it’ll be back to the drawing board.

What’d you end up getting instead? Tuned diesel in the EU?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Range! Always liked the white and black stormtrooper look.

Man, I cannot tell you how jealous I am of 25mpg. I would much rather have loads of torque and good mpg than horsepower up in the rev range where I'm rarely going to use it.

At one point I had an F250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. It had a piggy back tuner on it and it was a blast to drive. It was all rusted out and a couple different colors, but it moved.

====> General Update

Should get the grill, side vents, door cover handles, and tint done this weekend

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, that’s the fun car. Waiting for a nice day to take it out.

Washed the Range yesterday, didn’t do much good. It’s dirty again after the drive to work but I took a few pictures of the grille and side vents

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Sky Tire

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Sky Tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The grills are definitely an improvement.

One thing that kind of bugs me on mine is the plastic skirting all around and grey door handles. I’m on the fence with getting the body skirts and door handles color matched to the body and getting the pillars wrapped in gloss black. I just feel like it kind of cheapens it with the bare black/grey plastic. Just not sure if color matched is the way to go or if they should be gloss black.
Thanks! I don't know if I'm sold on the front grill yet tho. It vaguely reminds me of a 2005 Ford Explorer. Nothing wrong with the Explorer, it's just not what I want to be reminded of when I look at the Range. I've been thinking about taking the stock grill and painting it gloss black.

I think color matching the door handles would look great. I'm on the fence about the plastic skirts too. I kind of like the ruggedness of skirts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No way! Hopefully insurance will cover it man. I would be furious. I had some idiot fail to brake and rear end me. I was in my parent's car which made it even worse. It's always a nightmare situation.

We don't have many trams here in Detroit. The auto industry bought them and shut them down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
How’s your project going, any updates?
What’s up man, yeah it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I’ve been working on the Range slowly but surely.

• Did Arnot air struts on all 4 corners. I found that my rear passenger strut was blown and could be compressed by hand, but the airbag still worked. It rides way better with the new struts.
  • 20mm spacers on all 4 corners, had a meaty stance now
  • LED bulbs in the headlights and tail lights
  • LED bulbs in the interior, way brighter. You were on to something here
  • Factory grill painted gloss black

Anyway, you getting yours back together? How have you liked the diesel? I assume is has more torque down low in a useable rev range. It’ll be nice to see it buttoned back up. Once it’s back on the road… tune it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Yeah a heat gun and patience will do it. Luckily it's nice out and I can drive the other car if the Range is down for a few days. Those Valeo fogs sound pretty nice, it'll be a good upgrade.

I've changed almost everything to LEDs. The interior is super bright! Definitely a big change and the bulbs were pretty cheap on Amazon.

That TDV6 is a torque monster!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That was another Amazon buy. Took 4 weeks to get to me, but it worked well. I guess there are two different set ups for the door handles - one for 06 and one for 07-09... something like that.

Anyway, here's the link on the door handles:

Mine have "Land Rover" written on all of them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Looking really good. I need to get back to my Brembo caliper project. Might get them painted this weekend.
Nice man, what color are you going to go with?

It’s funny, now that mine is finally sorted, I think I’m going to sell it. I like the utility, but I want something a little more fun to drive. There’s an X3 M Sport near me that I’ve been eyeballing.

I’m trying to sort out what exactly I’m after. Ultimately, I’m looking for a fun winter car. I want something I can push in the corners, but still take out to the rural areas occasionally.

Time will tell. I’m going to give the Range a good deep cleaning and put her up for sale

1 - 16 of 16 Posts