RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had the two big bolts that hold the brake caliper to the axle fall out? I lost one about 2000 km ago and had it replaced then today the other one fell out, stripping the threads as it left. No brake work done recently so I can't understand why they would suddenly loosen.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Stripping them?

Seems to me you overtightened and stripped the threads out..Threads are machined to fit perfectly, if they were stripped once they can vibrate out

Tap and install a larger bolt, use blue loctite, not much torque is needed for them... 3/8 socket and hand tight, then a quarter turn

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Are you saying the caliper to retainer or retainer to the hub. Those on our 04 have small heads for the size of the threads so I always change them as they can wear easily on removal-but thats the head, not the thread. Have not looked at our 08 brembo retainers but wonder if the same issue that the bolts were reused and the heads rounded so they were not tightened properly. They really should not fall out. Curious if when you lost the first one, if both were replaced and torqued at the same time. On the retainer bolts I am sure they are over 100 foot pounds, the small bolts much less as noted. Rather scary. Hope the other side was checked. Only other thought would be a loosening from some weird vibration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. My local mechanic is going to re-thread them and torque to the correct setting with slightly larger bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my car is fixed but I won't be going back to that service shop again. I was expecting a $200 bill and ended up with a $500. They bought a 'heli-coil' kit to bring the bolt sizes back to normal after drilling them out. This was $130. They then refreshed the brake hardware for $56 and replaced a wheel lug nut for $37. With 2.25 hours of labour needed, and all done without feeling any need to call me for authorization to do more than I expected. Maybe I should have been clearer on my expected budget but I'll just go elsewhere on Vancouver Island next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts