RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first rover so i am trying to see what is normal and acceptable in these engines. I have a 2009 HSE. It has a slight tick that sounds a lot like lifter noise. Is this a normal thing for these trucks?

·
Registered
94 Posts
These 8's are pretty loud. If it starts to sound too "diesely" you might be getting into timing gear issues but what you are describing sounds pretty normal. I would just listen for change over time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 08 makes a little ticking noise too. I'm not worried about it but I'm curious to hear if anyone is familiar with this issue or tried to fix it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
It's taken me the better part of a year to get used to how loud our 2011 is. It hasn't changed during that time and I really don't notice it much any more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure on an 09 or 08, but if it's a direct injection engine they tend to have a bit of a ticking noise due to the high pressure fuel pump that's feeds the high pressure fuel injectors. My 07 isn't and I don't hear any ticking noises. I would just make sure the oil is changed regularly and if the noise gets any worse have an ASE certified mechanic ( master preferred) who has experiance with European cars look into it. I deal with a lot of euro cars at my shop on a daily basis and a lot of them nowadays are direct injection. It could be anything from lifter noise to a timing chain tensioner issue or a timing chain guide that has broken. Just be sure to have it checked if it gets worse, I learned the hard way on my wife's Q7 that a minor rattle could be a big issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts