RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read multiple posts stating the Jag engines in the 2008 models generally don't have timing chain issues. Mine has 199K miles on it and a couple days ago a bank of cylinders stopped firing on while I was on the interstate. I limped it to the nearest dealership about 5 miles away and they believe it needs the secondary timing chain replaced, but they won't know for sure without a "ton of diagnostic time which will add up quick".

They are also saying the supercharger intercooler pump failed, which is causing the transmission not to up shift under heavy acceleration.

Does this sound right? If the secondary timing chain failed could it cause further damage to the engine?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Still getting to know ours but i find it surprising you could run on one bank and the imbalance is really hard on an engine. Could make sense on the intercooler but its not likely you were flooring it. I see a compression test first but with a broken chain, i would think of possible interference between valves and pistons. Can really only offer moral support but anxious to hear your update.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
You aren't talking about LR Waukesha? The sales guys there are great, but I'll never have my vehicles serviced there again. They don't seem like they are the most knowledgeable people.

The supercharger pump is likely wired backwards.

The timing chain.. I don't think so. It would be giving timing codes at the least from the cam position sensor. I doubt you would be even able to drive with only 4 cylinders. Sounds more like an electrical issue before seeing anything closer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it is LR Waukesha. I've never had a good service experience there and have sworn them off a couple times, but unfortunately they were the closest option.

I did see the TSB about the supercharger pump wiring, but thought if that was the case it would have caused an issue many miles ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to let the dealer do the work, as I have been considering getting a CPO F Type and would need to trust them with the service. After two weeks of radio silence, I requested an update. They inspected the timing chains and guides yesterday and it all looks good. They still don't know why the bank isn't firing, but will do more diagnostics tomorrow...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts