Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 SC Full Size - Transmission 'slips' for a few seconds when cold

New to forum so apologies if there is an existing thread. Have a 2008 RR SC (Full Size) with 68K. In last few weeks when starting from cold, selecting D it takes a few seconds for the drive to fully engage, engine revs fine but no initial drive. After a few seconds it seems to sort itself out, no strange strange noises that I can hear. If it were a manual transmission I would be thinking that the clutch was slipping, not sure if there is an equivalent with the auto box & 4WD setup. Recently had the suspension air compressor replaced at main dealer. Appreciate any thoughts or pointers....

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
241 Posts
re: 2008 SC Full Size - Transmission 'slips' for a few seconds when cold

First step is to do a fluid and filter change... RR say the fluid is in there for life, as someone said, the oil lasts the life of the box but the box only lasts for the life of the oil !!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts

Yup fluid and filter will sort the slippage out.. Mine did that at 90 k miles .. It now has 140 k and never slipped once since the fluid and filter change. I also did all the work myself . Took less than an hour to wrap up.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Yup fluid and filter will sort the slippage out.. Mine did that at 90 k miles .. It now has 140 k and never slipped once since the fluid and filter change. I also did all the work myself . Took less than an hour to wrap up.
I've considered doing it myself however the refill/level procedure seems a little tricky. Any tips?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
697 Posts

When I wanted to refill dealer said to me "no no the oil is for life time" I said which life. Engine, vehicle or my life time. I said maybe new transmission with fresh oil for thousands of dollars. He said yes "new transmission fresh oil"

Fresh oil is gift, comes with new transmission. Comedy club. I change the filter refill the tranny.

Was Toyota/Lexus owner. Didn't now were the dealer is. Devil says sell that monster and buy land cruiser 200.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Measure exactly what you take out and that's the exact amount you will fill if you had no leaks. , if you do it yourself. After filling and before driving, start the car , get in the dr. Seat and shift through all gears at least twice, then shut her down, get back under the car, and you will find that there will be room to fill her up some more till you put in all of wht you took out. Once you do that wrap it up and enjoy the spin.

·
Registered
84 Posts

When I wanted to refill dealer said to me "no no the oil is for life time" I said which life. Engine, vehicle or my life time. I said maybe new transmission with fresh oil for thousands of dollars. He said yes "new transmission fresh oil"

Fresh oil is gift, comes with new transmission. Comedy club. I change the filter refill the tranny.

Was Toyota/Lexus owner. Didn't now were the dealer is. Devil says sell that monster and buy land cruiser 200.
Ofcourse they want you to buy a new everything.. Let me guess they want to sell everything to you right? Lol!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the guidance everyone. Unfortunately am working away from home so will need to take the car to dealer, he has quoted a price of $750.00 to do the work - seems like the filter is built into the pan and you buy a new pan?- and ZF transmission fluid make up around 50% of the cost. If this doesn't work (I'm confident it will based on the above but planning ahead just in case) any ideas what I would have to pay at the dealer for a new transmission?

Thanks again everyone for all of your help

Puckoon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Had the dealer replace the pan and oil and all is now well. Cost me $720 but that's a lot less than $7,500 for a refurb'd transmission. Again thanks for the help and guidance.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

i have 106k on my RR HSE and no major issues except for dipping rpms which was fixed with cleaning of the throttle body.
anybody here with over 100k miles who hasntflushed out the transmission fluid? how far have you gotten without changing transmission or changing fluid?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts