RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am going to get under my wife's car RRS tomorrow. How difficult is it to change out the mechatronics sealing sleeve? I've heard a cat needs to be removed as well as the cross member. Is this all true? Cat removal is simple. How hard is it to remove the cross member? Any write ups?

Thank you.
Chris

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had it done when the shop did my transmission fluid change - to get the old pan out you need to lift:jack the engine a couple of inches unless you cut it and use the metal replacement plan. I saw them so it and I believe you had to do that also to get access to the Sleeve - but it simply screws out and new one back into side of transmission at that point. I didn’t think they had to remove cat - just cross member. There is a diy video on Atlantic brisitsh website I believe ...maybe under lr3 but it is the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the reply Alpaca. I read about your experience. I wish I lived in your area, I would take it to the same shop. After crawling under the RR I decided to let our mechanic do it. I don't have the tools to do it and I feel the price he is charging is fair. It's all about picking and choosing your battles.

Chris

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Chris, the sealing sleeve is not inside the transmission pan and requires no special tools. In fact, if you get lucky you can do the job with your bare hands or a pair of needle nose pliers at the most. I don't recall how many pieces are in the way of the sleeve because I was doing a full-on pan/fluid swap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here's a picture, sealingSleeve.jpg

the trans-pan doesn't need to be removed, it's the area where the wiring connects to the transmission
where it begins to leak when the seals (o-rings) start to fail.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I am fairly certain you absolutely have to drop the pan to change the sleeve. That’s why it’s commonly sold with trans filter kit. There is a snap ring or forked clip on the inside of trans body that locks that into place. Watch the video on Roverparts and it will show the steps needed to change the sleeve.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
I hesitated posting 3 times and I should have listened! Yes, there is a a pull-tab inside the pan that releases the sleeve. No way around pulling the pan.

TO THE OP: If your Rover is anywhere near needing a fluid change, I would ask your mechanic to use the Atlantic British 2-piece transmission pan and not go back with the OEM. This way, he can avoid all the nonsense of raising up the engine, removing the exhaust down-pipe, and so on. He will simply need to lower your plastic pan, then reach in and hacksaw the plastic draw tube. This could save you some $$$ on this bill, and will definitely save you and others headaches down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did this operation myself in the garage with basic tools after much studying on this site and watching YouTube videos. I did have to remove the exhaust cat and frame cross-member, and had to jack up the motor a LOT to get the trans oil pickup tube to clear on the way out. I went very slowly and worked methodically, though I came very close to breaking a couple of the exhaust collector studs off I did manage it with no incident. Yes, you do have to drop the trans oil pan to remove the mechatronic sealing sleeve, there is a pull-down clip inside that must be released. MAKE SURE you push it all the way back up when you install the new sleeve.
Refilling the transmission is kind of interesting without a temperature probe, as you have to work fairly quickly right next to a rapidly heating exhaust pipe to adjust fluid level and re-install the fill plug. Pro tip: DO NOT try to "save time" by turning off the motor before re-installing the trans fill plug. I had a brain fart that cost me 2 quarts of Lifeguard 6, a trip back to Harmony Motorworks and made my garage smell like the ZF factory for a week or so. Live and learn.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote: (I am fairly certain you absolutely have to drop the pan to change the sleeve. That’s why it’s commonly sold with trans filter kit. There is a snap ring or forked clip on the inside of trans body that locks that into place. Watch the video on Roverparts and it will show the steps needed to change the sleeve.)

Yes, it does have to be dropped, but doesn't need be not removed - no jacking the engine up - or the other necessary
procedures in order to remove the trans-pan. A friend replaced the pan/filter, but not the sleeve. Had to go back in there
to replace just the sleeve afterwards. Wouldn't be worth it if you also needed to have a fluid/filter changed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, I definitely appreciate the replies. We had the mechanic do this yesterday and I'm happy with the job. Unfortunately he used OEM parts. He did ay he had to drill out a couple of cat bolts. I'll tackle this myself in the future. Hopefully it holds for at least 5-6 years.

Chris

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Quote: (I am fairly certain you absolutely have to drop the pan to change the sleeve. That’s why it’s commonly sold with trans filter kit. There is a snap ring or forked clip on the inside of trans body that locks that into place. Watch the video on Roverparts and it will show the steps needed to change the sleeve.)

Yes, it does have to be dropped, but doesn't need be not removed - no jacking the engine up - or the other necessary
procedures in order to remove the trans-pan. A friend replaced the pan/filter, but not the sleeve. Had to go back in there
to replace just the sleeve afterwards. Wouldn't be worth it if you also needed to have a fluid/filter changed.
This only works if you’ve changed to the new style 2 piece trans pan and filter. Original oem is a one piece filter and pan that can not be removed without either dropping cat and jacking motor etc or you cut the fluid pick up tube off and take it out this destroying the pan filter combo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Again, I'm not removing the pan/filter combined, I've done this twice and know what it takes to remove this combined trans/filter combo, I'm saying that the pan after loosening and removing the bolts can then finagled enough to switch out the sleeve, keeping the pan in tack
Not removing the filter pick up tube from its home.
Again just switching out the electric sleeve in the above picture...not the trans pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts