RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My trusty 2008 has appr. 105,000 miles. Engine, transmission, etc., has been bulletproof.
Last few days, my red battery light has been flashing intermittently. Seems to go off when I accelerate,
so I thought the belt might be loose. Mechanic checked battery yesterday, it's less than a year old,
and he said battery good and alternator keeping voltage correctly. ??? Any ideas?

(Edit: Just to note, I did an advanced search on this site, but so many 'battery light' threads involved other completely different RR models, such as the P38. Most still pointed to the alternator. One post said that that red battery light, was specific to the alternator only .... Anyone know? Mechanic showed me voltage stayed in the 13 range, never dropped below, but never stayed in the 14 range ....)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the flashing battery light on the dash indicates low Key Fob battery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow that would be a weird way to tell us of a low key fob battery!
I dropped off my truck at the mechanic, and left the owner's manual in it -- so I can't research it that way!
Anyone have some input?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had similar intermittent flashing battery light - was alternator diodes dying - ended up replacing the alternator (at 100K miles and 10 years - it is probably time anyway !). I ordered a denso reman unit - but that also failed in less than a year - the local auto-parts store reman unit has been solid for 3+ years now. You could get alternator tested - to makes sure it is bad - but intermittent diodes are sometimes hard to find on the tester. of course - it could also be loose battery terminal connectors or other ground cable related issues (corroded cable end etc. etc.) - so check those as well.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I had similar intermittent flashing battery light - was alternator diodes dying - ended up replacing the alternator (at 100K miles and 10 years - it is probably time anyway !). I ordered a denso reman unit - but that also failed in less than a year - the local auto-parts store reman unit has been solid for 3+ years now. You could get alternator tested - to makes sure it is bad - but intermittent diodes are sometimes hard to find on the tester. of course - it could also be loose battery terminal connectors or other ground cable related issues (corroded cable end etc. etc.) - so check those as well.
diodes.. is that the thing on the outside of the alternator with the heat sink? I had an alternator die cause that heat sink was caked in dirt from a swamp run months earlier.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ... I had my battery & alternator tested at 3 different places: All three told me battery AND alternator are fine!!! ???
So mechanic thinks my truck just has some type of computer error. My 'hood open' and 'low coolant' warnings have been showing off & on for last 2 years, but these are false warnings. B/c of age of truck and distance to land rover dealer, I just ignored those false readings.
But I assumed the battery light/indicator was on a different 'fault system' from the 'low coolant'/'hood open' system. Any thoughts on this???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts