RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2008 RR Sport SC and my only remaining question is reliability. I don't expect Lexus reliability but is the RR noticeably different in reliability than a BMW or MB? If you have had problems were they fixed? Major or minor? How was RR dealership at taking care of problems?

Regards,

MC

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an '08 HSE. Reliability has been superb. No issues except for the
front end clunking issue which apparently all RRS's have.
I took it into the dealer and they made the required repairs and all is well.
Dealer service is excellent.

I have had three BMW's in the past.

The RRS is every bit as reliable, if not more reliable, than BMW's.

BMW has turned into a mass produced rental car in the last five years.
They are a dime a dozen and their quality has dropped significantly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
At Law said:
BMW has turned into a mass produced rental car in the last five years.
They are a dime a dozen and their quality has dropped significantly.
So has Toyota/Lexus - deadly combo of producing many more of their cars in the US and a 'too quickly' expanding product line. I have had my '07 RRS S/C for about 2k miles so the sample size isn't good, but it's been terrific. Only been in for the 'seat rock'.

Best thing to do is get ahold of the service records and see how problematic it has been from day one. Mine had nothing on it, so I felt good buying it. In some cases, such as the RRS with its reliability stigma, I feel it is actually better to buy used because you can get a look into what the car has been through. There were some that had been in 5 times in 30k miles for 'electrical system servicing'. Stay away from those!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just traded my '08 RR SC in on a X5 M. I had the RR SC for three years and put on about 50,000 miles. I didn't have any problems with the RR SC at all. Absolutely no problems. It was a great ride. Check the service records of the vehicle you are intending to purchase. If it is a "problematic" vehicle then stay away from it. There are a ton of folks who have had problem free Range Rovers. My buddy has a MB ML 63 and a day doesn't go by where it isn't acting up. If you find a well cared for RR you won't be unhappy.
Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto for me.

I have a 2008 RRS HSE + Lux (Red + Ivory Interior).

I only have 8,000 miles but it has been perfect.

Zero problems and have only taken it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance (oil changes, etc.) over the past 25 months.

It seems like LR over the past couple of years has increased reliabilty dramatically, given the poor repuation.

But problems seem to have become binary - that is, a LR is either fine with no issues (or only minor ones) or it is a near lemon. But the number of near lemons seems to have dropped precipitously over the past 2 years.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
31K on my '08 HSE and so far I only had:

the trunk button malfunctioned @1K,
a broken ashtray cover @10K,
and @25K the dopes at the filling station(in NJ you can't pump your own gas) broke the latch on the fuel door

·
Registered
318 Posts
gooseyloosey said:

(in NJ you can't pump your own gas) broke the latch on the fuel door
Wow, that sucks - that you can't pump your own gas. What is that?

The few times I did get full serve here in MA, they left a trail of gas running down from the filler neck which I had to promptly remove with QD and then re-wax. Never again.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
gooseyloosey said:

(in NJ you can't pump your own gas) broke the latch on the fuel door
Wow, that sucks - that you can't pump your own gas. What is that?
NJ... and one other state I think, like Oregon...has that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an '08 SC and I've had no mechanical or electrical issues...I'm at 15k miles. I was worried about the reliability aspect of the car when I bought it but I'm impressed so far.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
I have a 2006 RR Sport SC. I have had to do a few computer updates, get a new steering wheel because the leather was flaking, get a new battery, replace the brakes at my expense. Not too bad for 40,000 miles. We have a Lexus and there have been very few problems and we have over 100,000 miles on it. We have 2 BMW's and the only problems we have had are emission code stuff. We have a GMC Sierra truck VortecMax and have never had one thing go wrong and we are tough on it. So compared to all but the GMC, the RR SC is comparable in reliablity. My only problem here is the LAnd Rover Dealer does not compare in service to any of the other dealers that sold me the other cars. That alone will keep me from getting another Range Rover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts