RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of diagnostic software for my RR. Long story short, I need to be able to read and Print Out fault codes that has been saved. I have been getting a lot of fault codes, but when I took it to a garage today, they checked the codes with a handheld device, and it showed NO FAULTS. I am not sure if the hand held looks for existing faults only, but what I need is previous faults and codes! I am sure no body cleared the codes previously which is why I'm a but confused on why the hand held found no codes!?

Also, Can someone point me in the right direction to buy a PC BASED SOFTWARE analyzer as well as where to find a cable with usb connector.

Thanks in advance!!

John

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
So you say you are getting loads of DTC's stored, but then when it gets read by an aftermarket reader, there are none. How do you know there are codes stored?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya johhnyva and Rich998a
Hopefully, without being further accused of making another sales pitch, i might be able to shine a bit of light on this.

Unlike non Can bus vehicles, like the P38 and pre 2006 L322, which have mainly independent on board systems, the RRS SC is entirely CAN bus.
This means that it can have up to 30 vehicle systems that are very closely interlinked in real time and are quite inter dependent on each other.
However the inter dependency on CAN bus systems means that a simple momentary glitch on any one system can have quite a ripple effect on the entire network of systems and can cause them to store a lot of network related fault codes.

Unless your hand held reader is a BBS Faultmate MSV-2 extreme or Faultmate FCR, then it will be a generic OBDII reader that due to it reading only emission related faults from only the EMS and Auto box means it will never show any such network faults. Unlike ours which accesses all systems and reports all fault codes.

Due to vehicle to vehicle variances in the communication network wiring, the majority of faults that get regularly noted and stored by our equipment and which can be ignored on a CAN bus vehicle do vary. And as such we do adopt a policy or advising all purchasers or our equipment to first use note what is normal for their vehicles such that they can filter out and detect anything that is new and abnormal and so is worthy of concern

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,761 Posts
BBS SPY said:
Unless your hand held reader is a BBS Faultmate MSV-2 extreme or Faultmate FCR, then it will be a generic OBDII reader that due to it reading only emission related faults from only the EMS and Auto box means it will never show any such network faults. Unlike ours which accesses all systems and reports all fault codes.
So you are saying only BBS hand helds are able to diagnose a 2008 Sport network system? That seems rather odd. :think:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
:naughty: Here we go again.....
Am I glad that I have decided to play with classic cars and bikes,(And the odd tractor.) rather than the minefield of the latest crop of over flashy,overcomplicated,poorly designed,poorly made cr-p that is being thrown at unfortunate owners now.

·
Registered
820 Posts
JohnnyVA,

You could probably take your vehicle to umpteen different garages & you'd get different results everytime. This is why owners are pulling their hair out.

An 08 model should still be under warrenty so get it back to the main dealers.

Diagnostic faults have to be interogated & cast aside as you dig to the fault or failure.

On some models there are constant fault codes present & this is how it should be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts