RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Navigation System will seem to work when I first start up in the morning but if I stop someplace, like to refuel, the map then freezes and will no longer show my progress. The map buttons also no longer respond until the ignition has been off for an hour or more. Also, from time to time when first starting, the display will not show a map but only a lot of black and white horizontal lines and will not function at all until it has been shut for an hour as before. What I would like to know is if there is a better option for a GPS than that provided by a Land Rover dealer since the system is now more than 10 years old. Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
My system was working properly but well out of date, it still had the original 2008 nav DVD. I decided to simply buy a separate Garmin system. The one I bought has great voice commands, links to phone, can provide traffic updates, and has free updates. I chose this particular one due to it's screen size. I had originally planned to place it over the nav screen. I installed it on the windshield first to test it out. I liked having the display in my field of view, and it sits low enough that it only blocks a bit of view of the hood, none of the road, so I left it there.
A word of caution - I did test it over the nav screen - I simply placed the suction cup on the nav screen and flipped the lever and heard a crunching sound. The vacuum created cracked the glass of the nav screen, so don't do this.
Another thing I installed was a very inexpensive (about $30) heads up display. I'm 6' tall and like the steering wheel low, so it blocks some of my gauges. The heads up unit plugs into the diagnostics plug under the dash and provides several pieces of info which you can customize. I only wanted the speedo so I shut everything else off and now I have a clear speed display on the windshield.
Garmin.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts