RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trucks taking a long time to warm up,, at -5 degree Celsius it seems to take over 15 min to reach operating temperature.

I've read posts about a possible faulty thermostat, but i'm not getting an engine light / codes so I wonder if it could be something else.

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
Are you sitting at idle or driving? Are you using a wind guard for your radiator?

It is something of a catch 22. At idle there is very little load so very little heat created. You are attempting to warm up a big ole block of metal from below freezing to near boiling. If you are driving in below freezing while it is warming up you create more heat but the wind chill in the engine compartment is cooling that same big block almost as fast as it is warming up. I always use wind guards below freezing for quicker warm up and better operation.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Lets look at it this way: improperly functioning thermostat seems like very logical answer.. I am newbie to LRs but it is my understanding that thermostat replacement is not complex procedure so if if your mileage is reasonably high and you havent replaced that thing yet - perhaps you should do it as a start..
#1) it is a good idea #2) it just might answer your question.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you sitting at idle or driving? Are you using a wind guard for your radiator?

It is something of a catch 22. At idle there is very little load so very little heat created. You are attempting to warm up a big ole block of metal from below freezing to near boiling. If you are driving in below freezing while it is warming up you create more heat but the wind chill in the engine compartment is cooling that same big block almost as fast as it is warming up. I always use wind guards below freezing for quicker warm up and better operation.
Could you please let us know the specific wind guard that you are using? This should be helpful in the winter warm up here in CT when the truck sometimes sits below freezing temperatures for 12-14 hours.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Possible causes:

Low coolant
Air in system causing obstruction probably where it bottlenecks somewhere
Thermostat
Gunk in coolant causing obstruction

RRToadhall I'm surprised you use a wind guard on yours.... Mine takes between 5 and 10 mins to warm up and that's at -20C with no wind guard. At -5C it shouldn't take that long. Have you checked your system?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Possible causes:

Low coolant
Air in system causing obstruction probably where it bottlenecks somewhere
Thermostat
Gunk in coolant causing obstruction

RRToadhall I'm surprised you use a wind guard on yours.... Mine takes between 5 and 10 mins to warm up and that's at -20C with no wind guard. At -5C it shouldn't take that long. Have you checked your system?
Today we have -7C here in siberia
I wait for just a little bit warming for 5 minutes than a ride to work for 10 minute with 40-50km/h of speed
Scanner read 74C coolant temperature
For my opinion its taking very long to warm up 4.2lt engine.
Thermostat is new second thermostat is also maybe coolant sensor maybe intercooler pump
Having to much problems this year

Winter is coming i have to prepare my car

Is there anyone else with warming issues?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts