RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 RR Supercharged, 2008 Z06, 1994 Z28, 2010 YZF R1
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah yes, another thread about this **** fan.

Long story short, water pump appears to be bad, so its getting replaced. Car has about 180000 miles on it. So far only the alternator is the only thing that's been replaced.

What is the trick to getting this **** thing off?! If I need to buy a tool I will. I'm about to just cut the thing off.

I've searched on this board and google with not a lot of luck. I've seen some threads saying that the SC models are not reversed thread and others say they are. I've sprayed the nut with PB Blaster in the attempt to get it loose. I've tried a hammer on the wrench on the nut. All of the videos I've seen are on the NA 4.4. Not much on the 4.2 SC.

Any help would be appreciated. I already have the radiator and the fan shroud out too.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
361 Posts
This usually works. Worked for me earlier this am while replacing the water pump on on my nephew’s 7.3 diesel F250. Took multiple smacks before loosening, while my nephew looked on in amazement.

Rob

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
121 Posts
counter clockwise, borrowed tool from auto parts store that how i got my 08 SC fan off

·
Registered
2008 RR Supercharged, 2008 Z06, 1994 Z28, 2010 YZF R1
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to finally get that thing off. Dumbest thing in the world. I hacked up a rental tool to hold the water pump bolts and did that with the hammer method. Popped right off.

This is hands down the worst vehicle I've ever worked on. I swear, Land Rover probably have the idea to just throw the car away rather than repair it! The fan shroud? Why in the hell isn't split in the middle to take the top half off first, remove the fan then remove the lower half?! Why is even pulling the radiator not as simple as pulling the hoses and lifting up?!

Either way, I've already got the new water pump on and it's on it's way back together. I have some hoses that are deteriorating as well so I'm replacing those as well.

Not a fun car to work on at all.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I managed to finally get that thing off. Dumbest thing in the world. I hacked up a rental tool to hold the water pump bolts and did that with the hammer method. Popped right off.

This is hands down the worst vehicle I've ever worked on. I swear, Land Rover probably have the idea to just throw the car away rather than repair it! The fan shroud? Why in the hell isn't split in the middle to take the top half off first, remove the fan then remove the lower half?! Why is even pulling the radiator not as simple as pulling the hoses and lifting up?!

Either way, I've already got the new water pump on and it's on it's way back together. I have some hoses that are deteriorating as well so I'm replacing those as well.

Not a fun car to work on at all.
Lol!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
This is hands down the worst vehicle I've ever worked on. I swear, Land Rover probably have the idea to just throw the car away rather than repair it!
Wait until you have to work on the Sport or LR3/4 - the L322 is a joy to work on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts