Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Relatively new to the site...been browsing through the forums the past couple of months as my husband and I both have RR with their own little issues. I am still getting used to the navigation through the forums and using the search tool - so forgive me if this particular issue has already been addressed. Feel free to point me in the direction of a post that already exists if you know of one!

I purchased my 2008 RR HSE used with approx 110k miles about a year ago. I only have one key, and the fob does not work (hasn't since I got the vehicle). The key unlocks the doors and starts the car, but i cannot unlock/lock the doors with the remote. Not a "problem" per se...just frustrating. I have read in multiple forums that once the battery is dead on the 2008MY vehicles, you have to purchase a new one and have it programmed by the dealer. Got that part. I have contacted the closest dealer to us and they are wanting approx $450 for the key and the programming. Plus the hour and a half drive each way and that's a decent little investment for something that seems so simple... :?:sad:

I have also seen forums talking about syncing the remotes to the vehicle.

My question is....is there a possibility that my fob just needs to be synced? I have never gotten any "Low battery" message. There is no light on the FOB so I can't use that to determine if the battery is dead or if the remote just needs to be synced..

Appreciate any advice in advance! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is just the battery then it maybe just be a case of re-syncing it. I had the same problem but for the life of me I can't remember how I done it. I did find out how to do it of the Internet some where. Hope this is of some use

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I have the instructions to re-sync.
I guess my question is - if i try to re-sync, am i going to somehow disable my vehicle if the sync doesn't work? That's my fear since I only have one key right now..
Key works fine now, so I know it's programmed correctly to my vehicle. The remote functions just do not work.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Door lock syncing has nothing to do with ignition anti theft system they are two completely different systems controlled by two separate things inside your FOB, only thing the buttons do is lock and unlock the doors. If you have more than one key you have to resync all of them at the same time, otherwise the other ones won't work anymore when the new ones are synced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Tom. I have the instructions to re-sync. I guess my question is - if i try to re-sync, am i going to somehow disable my vehicle if the sync doesn't work? That's my fear since I only have one key right now.. Key works fine now, so I know it's programmed correctly to my vehicle. The remote functions just do not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts