RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Bought a Rangerover HSE 2008 last week and have noticed that the car is very slow to take off. You have to put the foot down to get it moving unlike any other automatic which start moving as soon as you take your foot off the brake. There is also a squeaky sound coming from the back when its starting to move. Even while the car is in motion it feels like it's quite heavy. I can almost describe it like driving a car with the handbrake on. Could it be that the electronic handbrake needs to be adjusted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

The brake should release when you drive, can you get to a hill put it in neutral put the e-brake on, turn it off and see what happens? you can also (with assistance) try pushing it on flat if you have pushed a car before and are familiar with how that should feel...

Do you have any lights - specifically the red parking break light or a yellow one next to it

If you haven't already gotten a computer for your rig, you may want to pick one up. I had a release issue a few months ago and the computer has a force release e-break option you cant access without plugging into the car. I have the iCarsoft one (atlantic british will price match if you want to go that route). There are some others with different features, but good to have so you can check/clear codes and save money over time.

You could also have some general brake issues that may need to be adjusted and/or replaced - you may check when they were last serviced. Depending on the squeak and if it changes when breaks are applied, you could also have a baring, axle, or transfer/dif issue. You may consider having someone else drive and getting your head under there to see if you can sort out the where.

I have learned that with british cars, it usually isn't always the logical cause that created the issue

Good luck

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott. Many thanks for your input. Even on a level surface it does not move unless you give it enough gas which leads me to believe that it could be related to some brake issue. I would agree that it could be either an issue with the differential or maybe the gear Box. Would an oil change fix that issue? Would you have a link for iCar software please? There are no lights on the dashboard and the E brake light turns off when you release it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are having to give it gas to move on a flat surface there is a bigger issue there -- you should creep along.

If you dont have much history on the car, you may want to swap all your fluids (oil + filter, difs, transfer case) and check levels (on everything else) - whats your milage / do you have records?

If you can get under it, you may be able to see if something is sitting wrong, and with it in neutral, if you jacked it up, you should be able to turn a wheel free in the air a little bit (might help you sort out where the resistance is coming from, also note that if the car is in neutral and you jack it up it can roll, so do that only if you know what you are doing there). That being said, your ask if an oil change would fix it worries me a little bit for the purposes of getting under the car - have you worked on cars before?

You may use the search feature to see if anyone has had anything similar, but if the brake light is off, but goes on when it is engaged, the car at least thinks it is releasing it and thus I might look towards other points of resistance.

Sure: https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Professional-Multi-System-Diagnostic-V2-0/dp/B0791CF7T7
- double check it is the one for your car, but I believe it is this one. Also look around, there are some settings it cant change, there are some that connect to your phone as well, so grab what makes sense for your needs, but clearing codes is going to be important over time - sometimes the check engine light comes on, its a fluke, you clear it and youre good to go (as a best practice note the codes of what you clear and when)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know plenty about cars but never been under one. Thanks for the link. Might bring it to my garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
67 Posts
Hi everyone. Bought a Rangerover HSE 2008 last week and have noticed that the car is very slow to take off. You have to put the foot down to get it moving unlike any other automatic which start moving as soon as you take your foot off the brake. There is also a squeaky sound coming from the back when its starting to move. Even while the car is in motion it feels like it's quite heavy. I can almost describe it like driving a car with the handbrake on. Could it be that the electronic handbrake needs to be adjusted?
souds like an issue, but if your looking to have a pedal response, as I was. Check out adding a Pedal Commander. i have one and it changes the timing in the throttle response (as its digital) very big difference in feel with it in sport mode and you can change it from iPhone via blue tooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts