RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed the oil in “Meg” our 2008 L322. It’s my first time under the car with tools. In removing the skid pan only about 1/2 the bolts and screws are there. I did replace 5 as that’s all the ones I had in my bins, will get some more as I’m still a few short. The change went pretty smooth, I’m used to the P38’s and the openness underneath, this ones a bit more filled up in there. Since it was my first time on this car I managed to spill a bit...caught it all in the pan but getting the filter off made the mess. Wiped it all down and got the new one on.

It wasn’t to bad, only filter I could find locally was a wix or cheap store brand. I ordered a few K&N’s for the next few changes. Filled her up with Mobil 5w-30 full synthetic and is ready to go for a bit. Next service at 90,000 and go thru all of the fun stuff on that one.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
you would do well to change the oil every 5k miles using mobil 1
Wix filters are good the KnN filters not so much.

·
Registered
375 Posts
And 5w30 is a good oil weight for Oregon , the cooler the weather the lighter the oil weight from what i have learned , here in florida i use 10w30.. in Seattle i noticed land rover there uses 5w30 on an oil changes but in florida its 10w30.. i never thought it was neccesary but itseem to be.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
335 Posts
I had an LR3 4.4L and did changes every 7.5K with Royal Purple 5w30. The main PITA was getting the heavy steel skid plates off.

Question: did the L322 ever have steel skid plates underneath the sump? Or have they always been kevlar/ABS?

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The skid plate looked to be ABS, but the sump is all up above the frame work. The weather here is never below 0 in the winter and usually will see a few days in 100-110 range, that’s if it’s not smoky from all the fires most of the summer.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
313 Posts
If you hold a bucket up to the drain plug as you remove it you will not spill a drop. You only need to do this for maybe ten seconds until the oil flow is vertical instead of horizontal. Don't recall how I dealt with the filter. Maybe used some plastic to re-direct the drips.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Plastic on mine.
I had an LR3 4.4L and did changes every 7.5K with Royal Purple 5w30. The main PITA was getting the heavy steel skid plates off.

Question: did the L322 ever have steel skid plates underneath the sump? Or have they always been kevlar/ABS?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
I recorded changing the beads in the dryer (for the air suspension system) often in wet climates. This will save you tons of head aches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts