Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 navigation freeze, but not on LR logo. Also does not save region or orientation

2008 RRS HSE (not supercharged) The navigation and radio do not use the same screen.

The navigation system has random freezes on the map screen. The vehicle icon stays in the last location I was stopped at after turning off the ignition and does not refresh as I move. Again, this is random, but it happens more times than not. I have only had one instance where I saw the GPS with a red line thru it appear in the top left of the screen.

I also get random instances where the "Accept" button will not react to touch, but the other icons do work. This usually gets me to the "Turn off the screen" option, which I promptly do out of frustration so I don't have to be reminded that I cant get to the map screen. All other functions (Settings, 4x4 Info) work to the touch. On occasion the Accept button will work after a bit of driving, but not always.

One consistent issue is I always have to select my region every time I go to enter an address. It will not save my region. I don't remember my 06 having this issue.

Another consistent issue is with the map orientation. It always reverts to north (when it's not frozen, as stated above) when I get to the map screen. I like for the orientation to be straight ahead. Again, I don't remember my 06 having this issue.

I tried to do a search, but all I come up with are issues with it freezing at the LR logo screen. That has not been and issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,015 Posts
Re: 2008 navigation freeze, but not on LR logo. Also does not save region or orientat

I don't know how our resident tech expert Dave feels, but it sounds to me like your navigation module is about to bite the dust for good. Have you taken out the DVD and given it a nice cleaning? It might help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2008 navigation freeze, but not on LR logo. Also does not save region or orientat

No, but I'd be more than happy to give that a try. If the module decides to move on to greener pastures where would be the best source for a replacement? I just did a quick search for "navigation module" and came up dry. Is there a DIY for the replacement, or is it pretty self explanatory?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ahhh...also just remembered that when any type of freeze happens as I listed above the voice recognition also does not work. When the nav is working, so does the voice recognition.

Also, sorry about the double post. I forgot it had to be reviewed before publication and thought it didn't post. Darn Newb

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Have you taken out the DVD and given it a nice cleaning? It might help.
Give it a shot, might take care of the freezing issues, but for it losing the selections(display orientation and region) I think you're going to be looking at the Nav ECU itself, as this would be an internal memory failure.

The Voice Command is controlled by the nav, so yeah, during a failure(of even the disk, no VC with no disk installed) you will not have this feature. LR018204 is the PN, but there have been many revisions, so do some searching as you may be able to find a different part number that is compatible, just a earlier version.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts

YIB500090, YIB500120, YIB500070, YIB500022, YIB500160,YIB500023, LR018204, LR018252 should all be valid numbers for the satnav module (basically, the DVD unit that's under the driver's seat.) Don't know if installation is plug and play - whether you buy a used or new module - or if diagnostic is required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the quick info. Amazing that little thing runs $900 new. Is this an item that commonly fails?

In your opinion would you buy this item used? I found an ebay unit for $500, but thinking about how this one petered out and it's only 6 years old I'm not sure that's the best route.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Not a common failure in this way.

The ones on the L322(same part) had a high failure rate, but that was due to water ingress. I would not be concerned with a used one lasting, if it works when you get it. I would be weary of a 'no returns' purchase just in case it is dead when you plug it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the EXACT same issue!
Any fix?
I'm considering upgrading the firmware as it's old - April 2006 for the Sub CPU and April 2006 Main CPU. Seems a bit odd as the car is a 2008 model...
Don't know if this will fix the navigation issue.

·
Banned
224 Posts

I would definitely spend that $500-900 worth of cash on something like the Kivic and abandon the archaic Nav functionality for the excellent tech on your phone. Why would you want to use a Nav that is always out of date, is very hard to enter and find addresses, and doesn't take into consideration traffic when you have Google Maps on your phone?

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/133474-kivic-one.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. However I can't tell if a Map DVD is in the player. When I try to eject or put something in, it will not suck. So any suggestions on what I should do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.